Calls for UK apology over Ballymurphy killings
BELFAST: Calls are growing for the UK government to issue an apology to the families of 10 civilians killed in west Belfast in 1971.
Fresh inquests into the deaths involving the Army concluded that the victims were “entirely innocent” and soldiers were responsible for nine of the fatal shootings.
Coroner Mrs Justice Keegan found that the use of lethal force by the Army was not justified. She also criticised the lack of investigation into the 10th death, that of John McKerr, and said she could not definitively rule who had shot him.
SDLP leader Colum Eastwood and Alliance Party leader Naomi Long urged the government to “step up and formally apologise for the actions of the Army on the day in question”.
Ulster Unionist MLA Mike Nesbitt said the shootings should not have happened, adding an apology “swims in the shallow end of where we need to be”.
“I would rather we were in the deep end, and that means an acknowledgement not only of what happened but of the hurt and the ongoing hurt that Ballymurphy caused … acknowledge it in words and in deeds,” he told the BBC’s Stephen Nolan Show.
In 2010 former prime minister David Cameron apologised to the families of 13 civil rights marchers in Londonderry in 1972 who were fatally shot by soldiers after an inquiry found all were innocent.
Ms Long said: “We saw how much a similar apology in relation to Bloody Sunday meant to the families there, and I encourage the government to acknowledge the courage of the Ballymurphy families with a similar statement.” On Tuesday evening, Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis acknowledged the hurt to the families of the 10 people killed, which included a mother of eight and a Catholic priest.
“The government will carefully consider the extensive findings set out by the coroner, but it is clear that those who died were entirely innocent of wrongdoing,” he said.
A solicitor who represents the Ballymurphy families said they have instigated civil proceedings against the Ministry of Defence. “In light of these findings and the strong criticisms, they will be pushing on with that,” Padraig O Muirigh said.
Northern Ireland’s First Minister, Arlene Foster, said it had been a “long road for the Ballymurphy families” and commended their tenacity.
Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill described a “powerful day”, adding: “It has laid bare for all to see that the British forces murdered their family members, their innocent family members. They have always known that and now the whole world sees that is the case.” The shootings in the Ballymurphy area of west Belfast came over three days from August 9-11 following the controversial introduction of internment without trial.
Relatives of those killed applauded in Belfast Coroner’s Court as their loved ones were officially found innocent after 50 years.
Misinformation had been circulated that they had been terrorists. There were celebrations in west Belfast on Tuesday night. New inquests began in 2018, with the final oral evidence heard last March.
-
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row -
Dove Cameron Calls '56 Days' Casting 'Hollywood Fever Dream' -
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75