Dozens injured in Morocco migrant camp blaze
RABAT: A blaze ripped through a migrant camp in the Moroccan city of Casablanca on Sunday leaving "many injured", authorities and camp residents said.Illegal but tolerated by authorities, the Oulad Ziane camp near the coastal city's main bus station has for years been home to hundreds of migrants from sub-Saharan Africa.
It is the largest and one of the last informal camps left in the kingdom, following a push by authorities to dismantle others. "The camp burned down, and many injured were hospitalised," said Camara Lassine, a community leader in the camp.
"There was a fight between a hundred migrants over a stolen phone, and one of them started the fire and called the police," he said. "We don't know if we'll be allowed to return." Authorities said the fire broke out amid "plastic tents and debris" but was later brought under control without causing any deaths.
Blighted by a poor hygiene and violence, Oulad Ziane camp was hit by four fires last year. A steady flow of sub-Saharan migrants enter Morocco each year aiming to reach Europe by sea or via the Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla at the kingdom's northern tip. But many eventually settle in Morocco, which has conducted two campaigns since 2014 granting residency to 50,000 illegal immigrants, according to authorities.
-
Prince Harry Blames Prince William For George Clooney Fallout -
Google I/O 2026: Watch Major Announcements And Updates Live -
Rita Wilson Taking Tom Hanks On Tour? -
King Charles Backs New Opportunities For Northern Island's Next Generation -
Prince Harry, Archie And Lilibet Join Meghan Markle To Celebrate Wedding Anniversary -
Nestlé, Danone Infant Formula Products Recalled Again Over Contamination -
Queen Camilla Makes Solo Visit To School After Receiving 'bundle Of Letters' -
OpenAI Co-founder Andrej Karpathy Joins Anthropic As AI Race Intensifies -
Fortnite Finally Returns To App Stores Worldwide In Major Comeback For Epic Games -
Former NFL Cheerleader Makes Major Donation For Chud The Builder's Victim -
Taylor Swift's Video With Travis Kelce Falsely Linked To Pregnancy Rumors -
Buckingham Palace Updates On King Charles, Queen Camilla's Cultural Stop -
Cristiano Ronaldo To Lead Portugal At Sixth World Cup -
Adam Driver Spills On Secret Plan To Dodge His Movie Premieres -
Miley Cyrus 'protective' Of Mom Tish Amid Billy Ray And Liz Hurley Drama -
Meghan Markle's As Ever Launches Candle Inspired By Her Wedding To Prince Harry