Taliban blames US, Afghan forces for most civilian casualties in 2018
KABUL: The Taliban blamed US and Afghan forces for almost 90 percent of civilian casualties in 2018, in a report released Friday that suggested Afghanistan’s largest militant group was not responsible for a single death or injury.
The data — which NATO’s Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan dismissed as “propaganda” — follows a record year of bloodshed in the Afghan war, which by some estimates overtook Syria as the world’s deadliest conflict zone.
The figures, which the Taliban release every year and are based on “witnesses and primary sources”, showed a total of 4,170 civilian casualties — 2,294 deaths and 1,876 wounded — last year. US and “stooge” Afghan government forces caused 3,705 casualties, while the Islamic State group and other “unknown” entities were responsible for 465, the Taliban claimed. Rejecting the figures, Resolute Support said the Taliban continued “to inflict great harm on Afghan civilians”. “Over the last few months alone, the Taliban has carried out a host of atrocities against their own countrymen,” the NATO mission said in a statement.
The Taliban’s total number of civilian casualties is around half the number reported by the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) for the first nine months of 2018.
-
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals