Earthquake funds: Balakot residents to move apex court
MANSEHRA: The residents of Balakot will move the Supreme Court to become a party to the case about alleged embezzlement of $5 billion financial assistance donated by the international community for the rehabilitation of the 2005 earthquake survivors.
Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Mian Saqib Nisar had taken a suo moto notice of the alleged embezzlement of $5 billion earlier this month on a written petition moved by a social activist from Mansehra, Sheraz Mehmood Qureshi, pleading an inquiry in the matter.
The Supreme Court had fixed March 26 (today) for hearing the suo moto notice and summoned attorney general of Pakistan, advocate general Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and director general Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority to come to the court along with relevant documents.
The residents will move the SC through Munir Hussain Laghmani, former president of district bar association. Laghmani, hailing from Balakot, said that people of his native town lauded the CJ for taking suo moto notice, saying that over 12 years had passed since the devastating earthquake and survivors were still living in makeshift shelters in miserable condition. “The government had collected over $5 billion but the survivors here are still without their due rights as New Balakot City housing project is still in the doldrums,” said Laghmani.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'