KMC set to form cricket, football teams
By our correspondents
December 05, 2017
KARACHI: Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) is set to form its cricket and football teams, a senior official of the department said on Monday.
“Yes, we are going to form cricket and football teams very soon,” KMC Senior Director Culture, Sports and Recreation Saif Abbas told ‘The News’. “I am in contact with nine to ten first-class cricketers and hopefully the outfit will be launched formally in 15 days,” he added.
He said that the players would be selected only on the basis of merit. He said that 20 players would be picked for each team.About officials, he said that he would try at the first stage to test the department’s officials.
“First I would test my own people with expertise in these sports and if they failed to deliver, then we would look elsewhere,” Abbas added.About the football team, he said they would focus on Lyari. “Most of our players in the football team will be from Lyari as it is the hub of the sport and we can find great talent there,” the official said.
He said that the players would be taken on contract basis and Rs20,000 monthly salary would be given to them. “And then those players who perform well will be made permanent,” Abbas added.
He said that some footballers had already been picked. “We have already taken a few footballers from the KMC team which recently played in a football tournament at the KMC Stadium. We will hold some matches in near future and will complete our team as I don’t believe in trials. We will find gutsy boys through matches,” Abbas said.
He said that Mayor Karachi Waseem Akhtar had approved both the teams. He also revealed that KMC planned to establish football and cricket academies in which players from ten to 15 years of age would be trained. KMC had formed a football team in the past but due to conflict between the provincial government and the local government the team had to be disbanded.
“Yes, we are going to form cricket and football teams very soon,” KMC Senior Director Culture, Sports and Recreation Saif Abbas told ‘The News’. “I am in contact with nine to ten first-class cricketers and hopefully the outfit will be launched formally in 15 days,” he added.
He said that the players would be selected only on the basis of merit. He said that 20 players would be picked for each team.About officials, he said that he would try at the first stage to test the department’s officials.
“First I would test my own people with expertise in these sports and if they failed to deliver, then we would look elsewhere,” Abbas added.About the football team, he said they would focus on Lyari. “Most of our players in the football team will be from Lyari as it is the hub of the sport and we can find great talent there,” the official said.
He said that the players would be taken on contract basis and Rs20,000 monthly salary would be given to them. “And then those players who perform well will be made permanent,” Abbas added.
He said that some footballers had already been picked. “We have already taken a few footballers from the KMC team which recently played in a football tournament at the KMC Stadium. We will hold some matches in near future and will complete our team as I don’t believe in trials. We will find gutsy boys through matches,” Abbas said.
He said that Mayor Karachi Waseem Akhtar had approved both the teams. He also revealed that KMC planned to establish football and cricket academies in which players from ten to 15 years of age would be trained. KMC had formed a football team in the past but due to conflict between the provincial government and the local government the team had to be disbanded.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025