Punjab govt, millers face off on crushing season start date
LAHORE: About half of sugar mills in Punjab may not launch crushing season from November 15, 2025, as per directives of the provincial government.
Preparation for the sugarcane crushing season for 2025-26 is underway, marked by a blend of government enforcement, defiance by about two dozen mills and potential legal disputes from mill owners. The national kick-off date was set for Nov 15 by the Punjab government following a decision taken by the Sugar Advisory Board (SAB).
In Punjab, the heart of the country’s sugar production, the provincial government has issued strict directions for beginning operations simultaneously. This move is designed to protect farmers from potential exploitation and ensure timely sowing of wheat. As of Wednesday, a handful of mills have started crushing, with a few more expected to become operational within the next few days. However, the season’s launch is not without controversy. More than 22 sugar mills have reportedly decided to take their grievances to the court, filing petitions that challenge the government’s mandated start date. The mills argue that the forced timeline and the associated financial penalties for non-compliance threaten their operational viability, setting the stage for a legal battle that could impact the entire season.
Adding urgency to the government’s stance are critical supply and agricultural timelines. The provincial government claimed that the assertion by the millers about sugar glut is not true. Salma Butt, Special Assistant to the Chief Minister for Price Control & Commodities Management, revealed stark figures to The News. “Last year, the crushing season started on Nov 25. At that time, 604,000 metric tonnes of sugar were available in Punjab. Today, we have far less quantity available in the province,” she stated, dismissing sugar mills’ claims of sufficient stocks until mid-December as being “in the air”.
-
Growing Ebola Outbreak Leaves Nearly 140 Dead, Surpasses 600 Suspected Cases: WHO -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle PDA Has ‘relaxed’ Royal Couples -
US-Iran Deal In Flux As Hollywood Greenlights First Movie On War -
Meghan Markle Gets Unexpected Celebrity Shoutout -
OpenAI Eyes Speedy IPO As Market Awaits SpaceX Filing, Source Says -
King Charles Leaning On ‘incredible Diplomat’ To Sort Family Issues -
'Power Ballad' Actor Paul Rudd Gushes Over Co-star Nick Jonas -
Anna Delvey Writing New Book Amid Ongoing Immigration Battle -
Harry Styles Receives Shocking Warning Over Zoe Kravitz Romance -
Mark Zuckerberg Reassures Employees, Says 'no Further Company-wide Layoffs' Expected This Year -
Netflix Drops Michael Jackson Docuseries Trailer As Biopic In Theatres: 'They Timed This One' -
Sheryl Crow Recalls Painful Breakup With Lance Armstrong Amid Cancer Treatment -
Mercury Reaches $5.2 Billion Valuation On AI Startup Push -
'The Boys' Creator Defends Series Amid Backlash: 'No TV Show Is Perfect' -
UK's NCA Issues Statement After £7m Cocaine Found In Kim Kardashian Brand Shipment -
Trump Mobile Accused Of Leaking Customers Data