HRCP, BUJ slam notice to reporter over a year-old story
QUETTA: The Balochistan Union of Journalists and Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) have strongly condemned a controversial notice sent to the reporter Akbar Notezai of daily Dawn over an investigative report he wrote a year ago, terming it a blatant violation of freedom of the press, right to expression, and Article 19 of the Constitution of Pakistan.
According to the notice of FIA, the defamation case against Akbar Notezai has been initiated on the basis of an investigative report he published on August 26 last year, in which he reported administrative mismanagement, alleged misuse of authority and corruption.
BUJ President Khalil Ahmed and General Secretary Abdul Ghani Kakar, in a statement issued here on Tuesday, said that taking such action against a journalist under the Cybercrime Act without judicial permission and transparent investigation also indicates misuse of power, which the concerned authorities should take strict notice of.
Meanwhile, the HRCP said, “Such actions contribute to a climate of fear and intimidation for journalists and raise serious concerns about the misuse of cybercrime laws to curb press freedom. We urge the authorities to respect constitutional protections for freedom of expression and ensure that journalists are not harassed for carrying out their professional duties in the public interest. This notice must be withdrawn immediately.”
-
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years -
Eric Dane Drops Raw Confession For Rebecca Gayheart In Final Interview -
Trump Announces New 10% Global Tariff After Supreme Court Setback -
Influencer Dies Days After Plastic Surgery: Are Cosmetic Procedures Really Safe? -
Eric Dane Confesses Heartbreaking Regret About Daughters' Weddings Before Death -
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Reveals Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Diagnosis