‘25,000 foreign tourists visit GB in 2024’
Document states only 2,300 tourists obtained official mountaineering and trekking permits after paying royalty fees
GILGIT: Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) received nearly 25,000 foreign tourists in 2024, making up around half of all international visitors to Pakistan, according to an official document released on Sunday.
The figures come as the region gains recognition as a leading global destination, with major outlets like CNN, BBC, and the Financial Times listing it among the top places to visit in 2025.
The document stated that only 2,300 tourists obtained official mountaineering and trekking permits after paying royalty fees. The remaining 22,000 were allowed to travel across designated areas without permits or payments.
A Tourism Department official told The News that new routes had been opened this year to encourage more visitors, many of which do not require permits.
This season, around 700 foreign tourists have applied for mountaineering and trekking visas through the Pakistani government. However, only two have so far sought permits from Gilgit-Baltistan authorities, which are usually issued within two to three days.
Permit issuance was temporarily halted recently after the Pakistan Tour Operators Association (PATO) challenged a recent fee hike in GB’s Chief Court. The court, however, suspended the process pending a final decision.
The Tourism Department confirmed it will resume issuing permits once the court rules on the case.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child