‘$20m rice exports loss’ blamed on transporters strike
KARACHI: The rice export sector was hit hard by the recently concluded nationwide strike by goods transporters.
With export operations at a virtual standstill, rice shipments worth over $20 million (approximately Rs6 billion) failed to leave the country, sparking alarm among exporters and trade bodies.
The transporters’ strike, which began earlier this week and ended on Saturday, disrupted the movement of key export consignments across the country. Alongside agricultural produce like potatoes and onions, processed goods such as fruit pulp and juices were also affected. The rice export industry, a major contributor to the national economy, suffered significantly as a result.
Rafiq Suleman, former chairperson of the Rice Exporters Association of Pakistan and convener of the Rice Standing Committee at the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI), expressed grave concern over the crisis. He said that the strike left the rice export sector completely paralysed. Containers packed with rice were stuck at ports and warehouses. “Exporters were helpless, watching millions of dollars in trade hang in the balance,” he said.
According to Suleman, Pakistan exports an average of $4 million worth of rice per day. With exports halted for five consecutive days, the cumulative loss exceeded $20 million. He warned that such situation put the industry at risk of losing international buyers.
He further added that the strike’s ripple effects could undermine Pakistan’s reputation as a reliable exporter in global markets. “Such delays damage our credibility,” Suleman noted.
Many business leaders across multiple sectors echoed Suleman’s concerns.
Businesses got some relief on Saturday as goods transporters called off their nationwide strike in Karachi following successful talks with authorities.
The strike, which had paralysed the country’s logistics for four days, disrupting trade and supply chains due to new vehicle fitness regulations in Sindh, has now ended.
-
Lawyer Of Epstein Victims Speaks Out Directly To King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton -
Microsoft CEO Shares How Gates Doubted $1bn OpenAI Investment -
Milo Ventimiglia Calls Fatherhood 'pretty Wild Experience' As He Expects Second Baby With Wife Jarah Mariano -
Chinese Scientists Unveil Advanced AI Model To Support Deep-space Exploration -
Anthropic’s New AI Tool Wipes Billions Off Cybersecurity Stocks -
Trump Announces He Is Sending A Hospital Ship To Greenland Amid Rising Diplomatic Tensions -
'Never Have I Ever' Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Lifts The Lid On How She Avoids Drama At Coffee Shops Due To Her Name -
Inside Prince William’s Plans For Prince Harry: What Will Happen To Duke Once He’s King -
Chyler Leigh Pays Moving Homage To 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane: 'He Was Amazing' -
Did You Know Tech CEOs Limit Screen Time For Their Own Kids? -
Matthew Lillard Admits Fashion Trends Are Not His 'forte' -
SpaceX Launches Another Batch Of Satellites From Cape Canaveral During Late-night Mission On Saturday -
Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Get Pulled Into Parents’ Epstein Row: ‘At Least Stop Clinging!’ -
Inside Kim Kardashian's Brain Aneurysm Diagnosis -
Farmers Turn Down Millions As AI Data Centres Target Rural Land -
Trump Announces A Rise In Global Tariffs To 15% In Response To Court Ruling, As Trade Tensions Intensify