LHC seeks report from federal ministry regarding X
Federal government, Ministry of Law, Ministry of Information and others had been made parties in petitions
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Friday sought a report from the Ministry of Interior on the use of X as it heard a petition against the ban on the social media platform. Access to X has been disrupted since February 17 2024, when former Rawalpindi commissioner Liaquat
Chattha accused the chief election commissioner and a top Supreme Court judge of being involved in rigging the February 8 general elections. Rights bodies and journalists organisations have condemned the muzzling of social media while internet service providers have also lamented losses due to disruptions. The United States had also called on Pakistan to lift restrictions on social media platforms.
Friday’s hearing was taken up by a three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Alia Neelam who heard the petitions of journalist Shakir Mahmood and others.
The federal government, the Ministry of Law, the Ministry of Information and others had been made parties in the petitions.
At the outset of the hearing, the court sought a report from the Ministry of Interior on the functioning of X. The court also sought to know how the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) worked. Additionally, the LHC summoned the relevant PTA officer along with the record.
It should be revealed which government institutions are using X despite the ban, Justice Neelum said. It should also be told whether the status of X is legal or illegal. She said that all parties are obliged to file a response in the court.Deputy Attorney General Asad Bajwa told the court that the PTA had banned X on the instructions of the interior ministry. To this Justice Neelum said the interior ministry should inform the court about the current status of X.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'