Britain’s first Black woman lawmaker says she intends to run in election
LONDON: Britain’s first Black woman lawmaker, Diane Abbott, said on Sunday she intended to run for the Labour Party in a July 4 national election, after confusion over her candidacy marked one of the first missteps in the opposition party’s campaign.
After expressing dismay on Wednesday that she might be blocked as an election candidate for her constituency in the capital London, Abbott said on X she was the “adopted Labour candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington”.
“I intend to run and to win as Labour’s candidate,” she said, adding that reports over the weekend that she was offered a seat in the upper house of parliament were not correct.
The days of confusion over whether she would be able to stand again have marred Labour’s election campaign, which has been carefully choreographed to protect and build on its large lead in the opinion polls over the governing Conservatives.
On Friday, Labour leader Keir Starmer said Abbott, 70, was free to contest her seat in northeast London.
Abbott, Britain’s longest serving Black member of parliament who was first elected in 1987, had been suspended by the party for over a year after she said Jewish, Irish and Traveller people did not face racism all their lives.
The lawmaker, who apologised for the remarks, was reinstated to the party last week but earlier media reports had said she would be barred from standing.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'