Clerics ban canvassing by women in Kohistan
MANSEHRA: A 30-member group of clerics, most of them from Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUIF), on Friday unanimously adopted decrees and banned canvassing by women for the February 8 general elections.
“Taking women door-to-door for seeking votes is against the Islamic injunctions and Shariah,” Mufti Gul Shahzada of Kandia told a gathering arranged at the JUIF central office in the Kamila town in the Upper Kohistan district.
Around 400 clerics from different parts of Kohistan attended the gathering and endorsed Mufti Gul Shahzada as he spelled out six decrees, all related to upcoming elections, in front of them.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf-backed two women aspirants, including Tehmina Faheem from PK-31 Kohistan-I and former lawmaker Momina Basit, and an independent Sanaya Sabeel from PK-33 Kolai-Palas are vying for the February 8 general elections for the first time in the district’s history.
Mufti Gul Shahzada told the gathering that all decrees had been issued in the light of the current situation. He said these were based on the Islamic injunctions with references taken from different religious books.
“If anybody votes against Islamic ideology, it means he is testifying to an untrue and biased statement, which is a grave sin and also against Islamic Shariah,” he added.
The clerics warned that taking the Holy Quran to compel people to vote was a sacrilegious act and should never be exercised.
“Those casting votes on the linguistic, regional and clan grounds are also negating Islamic teachings and no such exercise should be carried out in this district,” Mufti Gul Shahzada added.
When approached, the women contestants in Kohistan in the February 8 general elections said they would give their point of view after consulting their parties.
-
OnePlus Removed From Best Buy Stores In The US -
Martin Short And Meryl Streep Split After Family Tragedy -
Trump China State Dinner Food Draws Attention -
Wall Street Tumbles From Record Highs As AI Stocks Sink Globally: Here’s Why -
Dolly Parton 'desperately Missing' Reba McEntire During Health Struggles -
Trump Says China Has Agreed To Buy US Oil, Fox News Reports -
Henry McMaster Pushes New Congressional Map After Trump Pressure -
Ebola Returns To DR Congo, Africa CDC Confirms -
North America’s Busiest Commuter Rail System Faces Possible Shutdown -
New Hampshire Lawmakers Split Over Firearms On University Campuses -
Brazil Police Target Former Rio Governor And Refit Owner In Tax Probe -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry Join Hands For New Project Amid Claims Of 'pressure On Marriage' -
Kate Middleton's Italy Trip Fails To Break Social Media 'curse' -
US Border Patrol Chief Michael Banks Resigns Amid Trump Immigration Shakeup -
Pete Davidson Slammed On Piers Morgan Show As He Splits From Elsie Hewitt -
1,700 Cruise Ship Passengers Quarantined In France Over Suspected Gastro Outbreak