Pope Francis calls disinformation first sin of journalism
VATICAN CITY: Pope Francis on Saturday denounced “disinformation” and fake news spread in an effort to influence public opinion as journalism’s principal offence.
“Disinformation is the first of the sins, the mistakes -- let’s say -- of journalism,” Francis told Italian journalists at a Vatican gathering to bestow a journalism prize.
Widely considered a savvy communicator himself, the pontiff returned to the term “sins” to list what he called the four misdeeds of the media, according to the Vatican’s translated statement of his comments.
“Disinformation, when journalism does not inform or informs badly; slander (sometimes this is used); defamation, which is different from slander but destroys; and the fourth is... the love of scandal.”
“I am concerned, for example, about the manipulations of those who interestingly propagate fake news to steer public opinion,” he said, urging a “reawakening of responsibility” in particular as Europe grapples with the ongoing war in Ukraine. “My hope is that space will be given to the voices of peace, to those who are committed to putting an end to this as to so many other conflicts,” he said.
Francis, 86, has interacted extensively with the media since becoming head of the world’s 1.3 billion Catholics in 2013, appearing at ease and expansive in interviews -- a far cry from his predecessor Benedict XVI. Earlier this year, a documentary showing his no-holds-barred encounter with young adults, “Conversations with the Pope”, was released on the Disney+ streaming service.
-
Prince Harry’s Fears About Queen Camilla Come To Light: ‘She’s Poisoning Charles’ Head’ -
Workday Shares Soar As AI Demand Mitigates Investor Concerns -
Use AI Or Lose Your Job, Warns Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang -
Anne Hathaway Shares Hilarious Reality Of Raising Two Boys -
Meta Launches Forum App To Challenge Reddit With Facebook Community Push -
Jessie J Gives Heart-warming Health Update: ‘cancer-free’ -
Matt Damon Gushes Over Charlize Theron’s Beauty: ‘genetic Lottery’ -
Karen Spencer Breaks Silence After Ex-husband Charles Spencer Fourth Marriage -
UK City Releases Letter Against Ex Prince Andrew: ‘A Profound Disappointment!’ -
Queen Camilla Turns Single Minded: ‘It’s A Personal Mission To Erase Harry, Meghan From Royal Life Entirely’ -
Phil Collins Reveals Fate Of Career Amid Dire Health Issues -
Abbey Romeo Reveals Where She Stands With David Isaacman After Shocking Split -
Meta Layoffs Spark ‘Squid Game’ Culture Claims By Ex-employee -
House Republicans Cancel Vote To Rein In Trump’s Military Campaign In Iran -
'Brilliant' Kate Middleton Makes Prince William Proud -
SpaceX Starship Launch Delayed Again: Here’s What Went Wrong