Zilliacus says offer to buy Man Utd still on the table
LONDON: Thomas Zilliacus insists his offer to buy Manchester United is still on the table after the Finnish tycoon declined to enter a third round of bidding for the Premier League club.
Zilliacus made a bid for United in March as he joined a heated takeover battle also featuring rival offers from Qatari banker Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani and British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe.
It appeared Zilliacus had withdrawn from the race this week when he said on social media that he would not participate “in a farce” after bidders were invited to lodge improved offers by April 28.
But Zilliacus, who has previously been involved with HJK Helsinki in his homeland, on Friday claimed his previous bid was still available for United’s owners the Glazer family to consider.
“My earlier offer still stands and I am willing to pay a premium above what I offered,” he told the BBC’s How To Buy A Football Club podcast.
“I’m not going to be participating in a third round because I find it highly unprofessional. I see no reason whatsoever why a third round is basically starting the whole thing from scratch.
“It seems odd to me that, if there is a genuine will to sell and you have three serious bidders, why you don’t sit down with the bidders, discuss and negotiate and hopefully come to a number that everyone can agree.”
Zilliacus, the founder of new social media organisation novaM Group, also criticised the US-based Glazers for conducting the potential sale at such a slow pace, with their asking price reported to be around £6 billion ($7.4 billion). The Glazers first announced their intention to consider a sale, or accept fresh investment, back in November.
Zilliacus says the drawn-out negotiations could hinder United manager Erik ten Hag’s bid to sign new players in the close-season transfer window.
“I can’t see the Glazers spending a lot of money on new players. If they have decided to sell the club, why would they do that?” he said.
“The potential to have a negative impact on the club is big and is growing every day when there is no decision on this.”
-
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53 -
Donald Trump Breaks Silence On Andrew’s Arrest: ‘It’s A Shame’ -
DJ Khaled Shares Weight Loss Progress -
Jennifer Aniston And Jim Curtis Share How They Handle Relationship Conflicts -
Shamed Andrew Real Birthday Plans As Cops Showed Up At Door -
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing