Waseem to face experienced Indonesian in third pro fight
KARACHI: Pakistan’s professional boxer Mohammad Waseem will face Indonesia’s experienced player John Bajwa on March 19 in Incheon, South Korea.
“I will meet Bajwa,” Waseem told ‘The News’ on Saturday.
For his third pro fight, Waseem recently underwent a month-long training at the Floyd Mayweather’s boxing club at Las Vegas in the United States.
“The training will help me. Bajwa is an experienced boxer but I am confident that I will beat him,” Waseem said.
Bajwa has so far played 23 bouts in his pro career, he lost 12 and won 11.
Quetta-born Waseem has so far won both the bouts of his career — which he played last year.
On October 4, 2015, the 27-year-old made a dream pro debut when he knocked out Korea’s Min Wook Lee in the ninth round to win the Korean Boxing Commission’s (KBC) title in Incheon.
He then knocked out Suparyanto Doglo of Indonesia in the third round to win his second successive pro bout at the Sanam Luang in Bangkok on December 5, 2015.
Waseem has been playing under the Korea-based AK Promotions being headed by Andy Kim.
Waseem turned pro early last year after having played for Pakistan for a decade during which he lifted several international medals including silver in the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games and bronze in the 2014 Incheon Asian Games.
On Saturday, Waseem visited Pakistan’s national boxing camp here at the PSB Coaching Centre.
“Waseem today did some sparring with the boxers,” Pakistan Boxing Federation’s (PBF) secretary Iqbal Hussain told ‘The News’.
“He is an inspiration for all of us. He has played superbly for Pakistan in his amateur career. We are proud of him,” Iqbal said.
“Waseem also gave some tips to our boxers which will help them in the Olympic qualifiers,” he added.
Waseem said he would immediately proceed to Korea after getting his visa. After Korea’s bout, Waseem is expected to feature in his next fight in May.
-
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row -
Dove Cameron Calls '56 Days' Casting 'Hollywood Fever Dream' -
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75