Almost a dozen men held after recovery of five-year-old girl's burnt body in Karachi
MLO at Karachi's Jinnah Hospital says something heavy was used to strike the child on the head to kill her
KARACHI: Police said Sunday at least 11 suspects have been detained following the recovery of the burnt body of a five-year-old girl from the metropolis' Esa Nagri neighbourhood, in a case that has caused an uproar on social media.
Police said an investigation has been launched into the rape-and-murder case after rescue officials recovered the child's body — stuffed in a bori (gunny bag) — on Sunday evening.
The police sources said DNA tests of the 11 men, who were detained from the site where the body was found, would be carried out soon.
Investigative police already detained two suspects earlier, they added.
Something heavy used to kill her
On the other hand, the medico-legal officer (MLO) at Karachi's Jinnah Hospital, Dr Zakia Khursheed, confirmed earlier today that the five-year-old girl had been raped before her death.
Something heavy was used to strike her on the head to kill her, Dr Khursheed noted, adding that samples from the deceased's body have been obtained for further investigation and tests.
Earlier, residents of the area had said the condition of the child's body suggested she was severely burnt. Authorities had said her father submitted a missing persons report at the PIB police station.
Speaking to Geo News later, the five-year-old girl's father said his daughter went missing a day earlier and that he had informed the PIB police station about it.
"Residents of the area told me that my daughter's body had been found," he said.
Bilawal takes notice
PPP Chairperson Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari on Monday took notice of the minor girl's murder in Karachi, saying her rape and murder was "an inhumane act".
"What happened to that innocent little girl is a heartbreaking tragedy," Bilawal said, advising Sindh Police to trace and bring the culprit to justice.
"The matter should be investigated on an urgent basis," he added. "The government of Sindh should do everything possible to help the affected family."
-
Security forces gun down 30 terrorists in multiple IBOs in KP: ISPR
-
MQM-P calls for new province in Sindh
-
US report validates Pakistan military edge over India: PM
-
Banned TTP poses serious threat to Pakistan security: UNSC panel
-
CM Afridi clarifies remarks on by-poll after ECP requests army deployment
-
Dubai sees 3.2m Pakistani passengers in 2025 as airport sets new milestone
-
Security forces kill 23 Indian proxy terrorists in KP's Kurram
-
Pakistan to construct island to boost oil exploration: report