Print

Trump issues rare rebuke to Netanyahu over Qatar strikes

By AFP
September 11, 2025
US President Donald Trump and Israels Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu talk in the midst of a joint news conference in the White House in Washington, U.S., January 28, 2020. — Reuters
US President Donald Trump and Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu talk in the midst of a joint news conference in the White House in Washington, U.S., January 28, 2020. — Reuters

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump gave Benjamin Netanyahu a rare slap on the wrist Tuesday over Israel’s strikes against Hamas in Qatar, as he insisted he played no role in the attack by one close US ally against another.

Trump said he was not notified in advance of the Israeli attack on the Gulf state, a crucial broker in the negotiations between

Israel and Hamas on ending the Gaza war and securing the release of hostages held by Palestinian militants. “I’m not thrilled about the whole situation,” Trump told reporters during a rare outing to a Washington restaurant. “We want the hostages back, but we are not thrilled about the way that went down today.”

The Israeli attack on Doha could hardly be more sensitive because Qatar, in addition to its role in the Gaza negotiations, is home to a huge US airbase and hosted Trump during a Middle East swing this year.

The fossil fuel-rich emirate also recently gave the United States a luxury Boeing 747-8 jet for Trump to use as his presidential plane, a move that sparked major ethical questions.

“This was a decision made by Prime Minister Netanyahu, it was not a decision made by me,” Trump said in a post on social media. “I view Qatar as a strong Ally and friend of the U.S., and feel very badly about the location of the attack,” he said -- although adding that eliminating Hamas was still a “worthy goal.”

In a statement that largely echoed one issued earlier by White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, Trump focused on the possible damage to his efforts to end the war in Gaza. “Unilaterally bombing inside Qatar, a Sovereign Nation and close Ally of the United States, that is working very hard and bravely taking risks with us to broker Peace, does not advance Israel or America’s goals,” Trump said.

The US president was at pains to point out that Washington was caught unawares by the Israeli attack.

He said the White House was “notified by the United States Military that Israel was attacking Hamas which, very unfortunately, was located in a section of Doha.” “I immediately directed Special Envoy Steve Witkoff to inform the Qataris of the impending attack, which he did, however, unfortunately, too late to stop the attack.”

Trump said he had spoken to Netanyahu in the aftermath, and tried to put a positive gloss on the affair.

“The Prime Minister told me that he wants to make Peace. I believe this unfortunate incident could serve as an opportunity for PEACE,” he said.

Leavitt told reporters earlier that Trump had given Netanyahu a “very clear” message about his “concerns.”