LONDON: Pakistani international batter Haider Ali has been cleared in an alleged rape case after Greater Manchester Police determined there was not enough evidence against him to back up the allegations by a British-Pakistani girl.
Greater Manchester Police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) sources confirmed to Geo News exclusively that the case against Ali has been closed due to insufficient evidence to support the allegations. Ali was represented by criminal law expert Barrister Moeen Khan.
The batter had been under investigation after a British-Pakistani woman accused him of raping her at a Manchester hotel. Police received the report on August 4 and arrested the 24-year-old cricketer the same day.
The woman told police she first met Ali on July 23, 2025, at a Manchester hotel where the alleged incident took place. She said they met again on August 1 in Ashford, about four hours by train from Manchester.
She filed her complaint four days later — around two weeks after the first meeting.
Police sources told Geo News that Ali is now free to leave the country. He has already collected his passport from the police station and can travel from the UK at any time of his choosing.
During his police interview, Ali denied the rape allegation. He told investigators that he knew the woman well and that they were friends, adding that the accusation came as a shock to him.
Ali has represented Pakistan in 35 T20 internationals since making his debut in 2020, as well as two one-day internationals.
-
State institutions ‘fail’ to perform constitutional duties: KP CM
-
CTD orders psychological testing of police on VVIP security duty
-
Navy busts drug consignment valued at $130m
-
Three ex-secretaries in race for ETPB chief post
-
Punjab govt forms 71 JITs to probe cases against banned TLP
-
Some UNSC members ignoring broader reforms, seeking privilege: Pakistan
-
PAC body discusses non-recovery of Rs15bn gas cess
-
Pakistan received $2.29bn foreign loans in first 4 months of 2025