Print

Scramble for survivors as Afghanistan quake death toll passes 1,400

By AFP
September 03, 2025
An injured person is carried to a military helicopter evacuating victims of an earthquake in Mazar Dara in Afghanistans Kunar province, September 1, 2025. — AFP
An injured person is carried to a military helicopter evacuating victims of an earthquake in Mazar Dara in Afghanistan's Kunar province, September 1, 2025. — AFP 

Jalalabad, Afghanistan: A powerful earthquake that struck eastern Afghanistan at the weekend killed more than 1,400 people and injured thousands more, the Taliban government said on Tuesday, making it one of the deadliest to hit the country in decades.

The casualty toll has mounted steadily since the 6.0-magnitude earthquake hit late Sunday night, devastating remote areas in mountainous provinces near the border with Pakistan.

Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world, with dwindling aid since the Taliban seized power in 2021 undermining its ability to respond to disasters.

Chief Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on social media platform X on Tuesday that 1,411 people were killed and 3,124 people were injured in the hard-hit province of Kunar alone.

Another dozen people were killed and hundreds injured in neighbouring Nangarhar province.

The earthquake could affect “hundreds of thousands”, said United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Afghanistan Indrika Ratwatte.

Rescuers searched through the night and all day for survivors in the rubble of homes flattened in Kunar, where more than 5,400 houses were destroyed, government spokesman Hamdullah Fitrat said on X.

Many of the worst-affected areas were still unreachable by road, but emergency facilities were being set up and multiple countries had announced they would provide aid, Fitrat said.

The European Union said it was sending 130 tonnes of emergency supplies and providing one million euros to help victims of the deadly quake. The bloc has become one of the key aid donors to Afghanistan after the United States -- previously the country’s largest aid provider -- cut all but a slice of its assistance after President Donald Trump took office in January.

The aid cuts risk impeding the response to the earthquake, sector experts told AFP, in a country already facing one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises after decades of conflict.

“The scale of need far exceeds current resources,” the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said in a statement, noting that funding cuts had hit humanitarian air services, “limiting access to remote communities”.

Emergency workers struggled to reach mountainous areas and villagers joined the rescue efforts, using their bare hands to clear debris from mud and stone homes built into steep valleys.

Obaidullah Stoman, 26, who travelled to the village of Wadir to search for a friend, was overwhelmed by the level of destruction.

“I’m searching here, but I didn’t see him. It was very difficult for me to see the conditions here,” he told AFP.