close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
June 16, 2013
Advertisement

Senate resolution condemns attack on Ziarat Residency

June 16, 2013

Share

ISLAMABAD: The Senate unanimously passed a resolution on Saturday condemning the terrorist attack on the Ziarat Residency where the Father of the Nation Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah spent his last days.
Leader of the House Raja Zafarul Haq moved the resolution after consulting the leaders of all parties in the House.
The Residency was damaged in a rocket attack by terrorists and the articles which remained in the use of the Quaid-e-Azam were also burnt. The resolution recommended that the Balochistan government bring the perpetrators of this heinous crime to justice and award them a deterrent punishment. “It is very unfortunate that we could not preserve this national heritage,” remarked the Senate Chairman Syed Nayyar Hussain Bokhari while expressing grief over the incident.
Senator Saifullah Magsi raised the issue of the attack on the Residency and said it was unfortunate that at least 11 female students had also been killed in a terrorist attack on a bus. He complained that Balochistan had been left to its own devices after the May 11 election. He wondered how talks could be held with the Taliban, who could not be even called human beings for their gory acts.
He and all the opposition senators then staged a token walkout from the Senate.
Online adds: Meanwhile, speaking on the points of order raised by Sufyan Yusuf and Shazia Marri in the National Assembly, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan regretted the attack on the Ziarat Residency. The minister said one constable had lost his life in the attack and a huge quantity of explosive material had been recovered during search. He said an inquiry had been started into the incident and a detailed report would soon be presented in the House. Opposition leader in the National Assembly Syed Khurshid Shah also condemned the attack and said if they remained silent, it would make their loyalty to the country questionable.
Minister for Information and National Heritage Pervaiz Rasheed

directed the DG Quaid-i-Azam Academy to visit the Quaid Residency and asses the damages. He also directed him to prepare a report on the cost of damage for the timely repair of the building. The opposition also staged a token walk out to register their protest against the attack on Ziarat Residency and the killing of girl students in an attack on a university bus in Quetta.

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus