Wed August 23, 2017
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Top Story

August 25, 2012

Share

Advertisement

Pakistan to replace US system at airports, exit points

Pakistan to replace US system at airports, exit points
LAHORE: The National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) has been assigned the task of developing and commissioning the Integrated Border Management System (IBMS) on the behalf of FIA as a key technology partner to replace the Personal Identification Secure Comparison Evaluation System (PISCES) at 26 entry/exit points across the county.
These include all the railway stations and seaports for immigration processing, said a Nadra spokesperson in a statement issued here.
IBMS is an indigenously developed system designed to replace the US-based PISCES system with many new additional features. The system has been designed and tailored specifically as per the immigration laws of Pakistan. This helps prevent illegal entry, use of counterfeit documents, human smuggling and other travel fraud.
Moreover, IBMS has been successfully launched and deployed since February 2011 in collaboration with FIA and is currently operational at Benazir Bhutto International Airport Islamabad, Jinnah International Airport Karachi, Bacha Khan International Airport Peshawar and Torkham land route and is to be launched at Allama Iqbal International Airport Lahore on August 25, 2012.
Minister for Interior Rehman Malik is expected to be the chief guest at this launch of IBMS at Lahore airport.Already 90 percent of total traffic has been shifted to IBMS for immigration processing; the remaining 10 percent is expected to be linked with the system in a few months, said the spokesperson.
The spokesperson further elaborated that with the induction of this system a centralised databank is available for all stakeholders for the provision of traveler information and access to Machine Readable Passport (MRP) and Nadra databases to further authenticate travel documents thus helping in eradicating the menace of illegal travel documents, human smuggling and entry/exit of undesirable elements.
A link is also provided to law enforcement agencies to better equip them to fight crime.The spokesperson further said that IBMS is designed to document and store the entire process from visa issuance to departure and arrivals from the country thus preventing illegal human trafficking as well as illegal immigrants from fleeing from/to the country. IBMS has been equipped with the latest technologies such as advance fingerprint matching, specialised handling for different categories of travelers and scalability for integration with other national databases.
Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement
Advertisement