close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
September 29, 2011

Gen Beg asks Zardari to end his silence

Business

September 29, 2011

ISLAMABAD: Former Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) General (retd) Mirza Aslam Beg has raised serious questions on President Asif Zardari’s ‘mysterious silence’ over Pak-US relations despite being the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces.
“Asif Zardari has played a disappointing and mysterious role while observing a complete silence at the time when America is extending threats to the country,” Beg said while talking to The News on Wednesday.
“The president must explain his position as to why he did not discharge his responsibility as supreme commander of the armed forces and head of the state. What is the job of the president if he has not to give befitting reply to an outside aggression?”
The military chief, he said, timely took initiative to blow up the bubble and came up with a clear statement in response to Mike Mullen, otherwise, Pakistan would have succumbed to the hollow threats.”
The All Parties Conference (APC), he said, is useless exercise after the government failed to execute previously passed two parliamentary resolutions. “I have no hopes with the APC neither I had with the parliament that adopted two unanimous resolutions, without implementation.” “This is not the time to save the skin, if Zardari did so, but to come forward as a supreme commander having the main responsibility on his shoulders to deal with this external threat.”

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus