Earwax protects the ear from dirt and other foreign particles. It may not cause any medical issues and doesn’t always have to be removed.
On the other hand, if your child is complaining of a problem that relates to earwax, the Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions:
Today’s Health Tips
* If earwax causes discomfort, gently clean the ear with a washcloth.
* Earwax that is causing pain should be examined and treated by a doctor.
* Never attempt to remove earwax at home with ear candling. Consult a doctor before using any over-the-counter product to remove earwax.
* Never insert an object such as a cotton swab into the ear canal in an attempt to remove earwax.
* An ear infection may be treated with antibiotic drops.