70 killed as Israel unleashes ground assault on Gaza City

By News Desk
|
September 17, 2025
Buildings lie in ruin in Beit Hanoun in the Gaza Strip, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, as seen from southern Israel, January 5, 2025. — Reuters

JERUSALEM/CAIRO: As many as 70 people were killed as Israel unleashed a long-threatened ground assault on Gaza City on Tuesday, declaring “Gaza is burning” as Palestinians there described the most intense bombardment they had faced in two years of war.

An Israel Defence Forces official said ground troops were moving deeper into the enclave’s main city, and that the number of soldiers would rise in coming days to confront up to 3,000 Hamas combatants the IDF believes are still in the city. The assault drew widespread condemnation, with the UN rights chief demanding an end to the “carnage”.

Advertisement

Overnight, the military unleashed a massive bombardment of Gaza City as Israeli troops moved deeper into the territory’s largest urban hub.”Last night, we transitioned into the next phase, the main phase of the plan for Gaza City... Forces have expanded ground activity into Hamas’s main stronghold in Gaza, which is Gaza City,” a military official told journalists.”We are moving towards the centre” of Gaza City, he said.

The military estimated there were 2,000-3,000 Hamas militants operating in the area, he added. Defence Minister Israel Katz earlier said Gaza City was “on fire”. Witnesses told AFP of relentless bombing in Gaza City, much of which is already in ruins after nearly two years of Israeli strikes. Only huge piles of rubble remained of a residential block in the north of the city hit by overnight bombing. Israel renewed calls on civilians to leave, and columns of Palestinians streamed towards the south and west in donkey carts, rickshaws, heavily laden vehicles or on foot. “They are destroying residential towers, the pillars of the city, mosques, schools and roads,” Abu Tamer, a 70-year-old man making the journey south with his family, told Reuters in a text message. Hamas said 350,000 had left their homes in the eastern parts of the city, heading to displacement shelters in its central or western areas, while another 175,000 people had fled the city altogether, heading south. Gaza health officials reported at least 70 people had been killed on Tuesday, most of them in Gaza City, as airstrikes swept across the city and tanks advanced. Where a missile had destroyed two multi-storey residential buildings during the night, people clambered over an immense mound of dislocated concrete to pry out victims, footage obtained by Reuters showed.

In launching the assault, Israel’s government defied European leaders threatening sanctions and warnings from even some of Israel’s own military commanders that it could be a costly mistake. The European Union said the assault on Gaza City would worsen an already “catastrophic” humanitarian situation, while Britain said it would bring only “more bloodshed, kill more innocent civilians and endanger the remaining hostages”. In Brussels, a spokesperson for the EU executive said it would agree on Wednesday to impose new sanctions on Israel, including suspending certain trade provisions. Some Israeli military commanders have expressed concern that the Gaza City assault could endanger remaining hostages held by Hamas or be a “death trap” for troops. Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir, at a meeting Netanyahu convened late on Sunday with security chiefs, urged the prime minister to pursue a ceasefire deal. Three more Palestinians died of malnutrition and starvation in the past 24 hours, Gaza’s health ministry said on Tuesday, raising total hunger deaths to at least 428. Israel says the extent of hunger has been exaggerated.

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that what is happening in Gaza was horrendous and that the war in the Palestinian territory was morally, politically and legally intolerable. US President Donald Trump accused Hamas of using hostages as human shields. Trump sided with Israel, telling reporters at the White House that Hamas would have “hell to pay” if it used hostages as human shields during the assault. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said a diplomatic solution in which Hamas demilitarises remained the US preference, although he added: “Sometimes when you’re dealing with a group of savages like Hamas, that’s not possible, but we hope it can happen.”

In the latest expression of international alarm, a United Nations Commission of Inquiry (COI) concluded that Israel had committed genocide in Gaza. “The responsibility lies with the State of Israel.” The report concluded that Netanyahu, President Isaac Herzog and former defence minister Yoav Gallant have “incited the commission of genocide”.

In another development, the flotilla bound for Gaza carrying aid and pro-Palestinian activists is enroute to the famine-hit Palestinian territory. More than 100 vessels in the fleet will converge in the Mediterranean, bringing together four regional alliances, including the Freedom Flotilla Coalition from Europe, the Global March to Gaza from the Middle East, Sumud Nusantara from Asia and Sumud Maghrib from Africa. Former senator Mushtaq Ahmed Khan, Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg, and Hollywood actress Susan Sarandon are also among the pro-Palestinian activists in the aid flotilla.

Pakistan has joined the global call for the security of the Global Sumud Flotilla, a civil society initiative in which citizens of several countries are participating, following attacks on the vessels of pro-Palestinian activists carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza. The foreign ministers of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Indonesia, Ireland, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mexico, Oman, Qatar, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain and Türkiye expressed their concern about the security of the aid flotilla.

Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement: “The Global Sumud Flotilla has informed about its objective of delivering humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip, and raising awareness about the urgent humanitarian needs of the Palestinian people and the need to stop the war in Gaza.” It added: “Both objectives, peace and humanitarian aid delivery, together with the respect of international law, including humanitarian law, are shared by our governments.” Pakistan called on “everyone to refrain from any unlawful or violent act against the Flotilla, to respect international law and international humanitarian law.” “We recall that any violation of international law and human rights of the participants in the Flotilla, including attack against vessels in international waters or illegal detention, will lead to accountability,” it concluded.

Speaking to Geo News programme “Capital Talk” while on board Global Sumud Flotilla, Jamaat-e-Islami’s senior leader and former senator Mushtaq said that Israeli drones were continuously flying over the maritime convoy travelling from Tunisia to Gaza. “In one drone strike, two vessels have already been damaged. However, we will not be intimidated and will certainly proceed to Gaza with relief supplies,” he added.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar has said that mere condemnation of Israeli attacks is no longer enough and that the international community must now adopt a clear plan of action to halt Israel’s aggression. In an interview with Arab media, Dar said the world must “stop Israel in its tracks” and warned that its attacks on Lebanon, Syria, and now Qatar were unacceptable and in violation of international law.

Pakistan strongly condemns the strike on Qatar, viewing it as an attack on a brotherly nation’s sovereignty, said Deputy Prime Minister Dar. Pakistan supported Qatar post-strike, joining Somalia in calling for an emergency UN Security Council session. Dar welcomed Qatar’s Arab-Islamic emergency summit in Doha as a timely initiative. He highlighted the dire situation in Gaza, urging an unconditional ceasefire and noting Israel’s provocations as evidence of its disinterest in regional peace. Dar stressed the need for Muslim unity and called for UN Security Council reforms to address disputes like Palestine and Kashmir effectively, urging the Council to take meaningful action rather than remaining a silent spectator.

Deputy Prime Minister Dar reiterated Pakistan’s commitment to resolving conflicts peacefully through sincere dialogue, emphasizing negotiations as the best approach. He affirmed Pakistan’s dedication to eradicating terrorism, noting the country’s significant sacrifices and rejecting India’s accusations against it. Dar stressed Pakistan’s desire for friendly relations with all neighbours, including India, but warned that its sovereignty is non-negotiable. On water issues, he cautioned that future conflicts could arise over water, reminding that India cannot unilaterally alter the Indus Waters Treaty, and any attempt to stop water flow would be considered a declaration of war. Dar underscored Pakistan’s status as a responsible nuclear power with a strong military, ready to stand with the Ummah against any threat.

Advertisement