PESHAWAR: Advisor to Chief Minister on Information and Public Relations Barrister Muhammad Ali Saif on Tuesday condemned the federal government’s decision to ban meetings of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf founder Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi with their legal counsels and family members.
“It’s a gross violation of human rights,” Barrister Saif said, adding, the restrictions reflected the government’s fear that Imran Khan could organise his workers for new protest strategies or rally lawyers to challenge unconstitutional amendments.
Barrister Saif accused the government of being “terrified,” stating that even Bushra Bibi had been placed under the same restrictions.
He urged the ruling coalition to “come to its senses” and halt further violations of human rights.
He also pointed out that the current administration had illegally detained members of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa cabinet and unjustly imprisoned PTI workers, which he said amounts to an attack on the very pillars of democracy.
The advisor criticized the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PMLN)-led federal and Punjab government, claiming that the Sharif family had sunk to new lows in their efforts to hold onto power.
He also issued a warning that the “state-sponsored oppression and brutality” would not go unaccounted for.
In response to accusations of misusing government resources, Saif said that it’s standard protocol to provide rescue and fire brigade services at every rally, regardless of the political party.
He challenged the PMLN and other opposition parties to hold a rally in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
“We will not only grant them permission for the rally but also provide them with a venue and all necessary facilities. I can assure you, though, that they will not be able to gather even a quarter of the crowd that PTI attracts,” he asserted.
The CM aide also noted that while the opposition accuses PTI of misusing state resources, it was, in fact, the federal and Punjab governments that used public funds to create a “container fortress” to block off Islamabad and parts of the motorway.
“Were those containers paid for out of the Sharif or Zardari family’s personal funds? If so, then fine,” he added.