Family of accused challenges transfer of trial to military court
Safoora bus massacre
Karachi
The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Tuesday directed the federal and provincial law officers to file comments on a petition challenging the federal government’s decision to shift the case’s trial from the anti-terrorism court (ATC) to the military court.
The family of Naeem Sajid, a businessman said to have facilitated the perpetrators of the Safoora bus massacre, submitted in the petition that police and law enforcement agencies had had him in their illegal detention for more than three months and was later falsely implicated in the case.
Their counsel Khawaja Shamsul Islam submitted that the decision regarding shifting of trial from the ATC to the military court was nothing but a reflection of a ‘pick and choose policy’ adopted by the federal and provincial governments. He submitted that elements of discretion were also apparent as number of FIRs lodged against workers and office bearers of the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) as well as the case against former petroleum minister Dr Asim Hussain had not been handed over to the military courts.
The court was requested to declare the transfer of the petitioner’s trial null and void, arguing that the case did not fall under the new sub-section (4) of section 2 of the Pakistan Army Act as it was inconsistent with a mandatory provision of the Protection of Pakistan Act. As many as 45 people including 18 women belonging to the Ismaili community were killed in a brutal attack on a community-bus near Safoora Goth on May13, last year.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child