Afghan troops, police abandon nearly 200 checkpoints to Taliban
KANDAHAR: Afghan security personnel have abandoned nearly 200 checkpoints in restive Kandahar province in recent weeks, officials said Wednesday, in some cases leaving behind their weapons to be seized by the Taliban.
Kandahar provincial Governor Hayatullah Hayat and a local lawmaker separately confirmed the situation to AFP, saying commanders would be disciplined for their actions. The Defence Ministry in Kabul denied the reports, insisting government forces had been making progress in the region. Government forces and the Taliban have clashed regularly in Kandahar province since October despite peace talks between the warring sides.
"Afghan security forces have retreated from 193 checkpoints and outposts in Zharai, Maiwand, Arghandab and Panjwai districts," Kandahar provincial governor Hayatullah Hayat said. "Most of the security chiefs and officers who neglected their duties have been dismissed and referred to the judiciary."
Kandahar lawmaker Hashim Alkhozai and a local police officer confirmed the details. "The security forces exited the bases leaving behind their weapons and ammunition," Alkhozai said. Most of those who left were soldiers, said Jan Mohammad, a policeman from Zharai district. "They left without firing a bullet," he said. "The Taliban now have all the weapons seized from the army and are using them against us." Governor Hayat blamed "poor coordination" for the situation amid a shortage of police and troops.
Kandahar is the birthplace of the Taliban, who went on to rule Afghanistan with a harsh version of Islamic Sharia law until being overthrown by a US-led invasion in 2001.
Since a US-Taliban deal in February, the insurgents have mostly refrained from carrying out major attacks on cities, but have launched near-daily assaults against Afghan forces in rural areas. Peace talks between the two sides -- which started in September in the Qatari capital of Doha -- are currently on a break and are due to resume on January 5.
-
Fortnite Finally Returns To App Stores Worldwide In Major Comeback For Epic Games -
Former NFL Cheerleader Makes Major Donation For Chud The Builder's Victim -
Taylor Swift's Video With Travis Kelce Falsely Linked To Pregnancy Rumors -
Buckingham Palace Updates On King Charles, Queen Camilla's Cultural Stop -
Cristiano Ronaldo To Lead Portugal At Sixth World Cup -
Adam Driver Spills On Secret Plan To Dodge His Movie Premieres -
Miley Cyrus 'protective' Of Mom Tish Amid Billy Ray And Liz Hurley Drama -
Meghan Markle's As Ever Launches Candle Inspired By Her Wedding To Prince Harry -
Red Lobster Axes Iconic Tallahassee Location As 'Endless Shrimp' Resurfaces -
Princess Diana's Brother Finally Reveals 'happiest Day Ever' With Fourth Wedding -
King Charles Drinks And Dances In Belfast -
Critics Share Early Verdict On 'The Mandalorian And Grogu' -
Ramsey Elkholy's Epstein Connection Continues To Haunt Former Modelling Agent -
Jessica Biel Gives Justin Timberlake Shocking Ultimatum -
Disney+ And Anne Hathaway Deepen Bond With Big New Move -
Palace Shares Latest Update On Queen's Health After Angioplasty