Billboards be removed from Karachi’s public places within 15 days: SC
Says roads, sidewalks, overhead bridges, underpasses, walkways, greenbelts, pedestrian lanes cannot be allowed to be used for installation of billboards
KARACHI: The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation, cantonment boards and other authorities concerned to remove within 15 days all the billboards installed without permission on public property within their jurisdiction.
“There is no law which permits the KMC, DMC, cantonment boards or any other agency in Karachi to install billboards or hoardings on public property,” a three-member bench headed by Justice Mian Saqib Nisar observed in a matter regarding illegal advertising signboards in the city.
“Such an act on the part of the permission granting agency is against the civil rights of citizens. The civil rights of citizens cannot be hampered by erecting billboards or hoardings on the civic amenity meant for the use and benefit of the public at large; besides, such an act would endanger the life and property of the common man.”
The bench further observed that no billboard could be permitted to be installed on any public property by any authority under the garb of by-laws, as that would militate against the civil rights of the public at large.
It said billboards/ hoardings installed on public property under any licence or lease “shall be uprooted by June 30, 2016” by the concerned advertising agencies that owned those poles or display materials or by contractors if they owned such material or by the authorities with whose permission the billboards or hoardings had been put up.
The apex court observed that trees on roads and greenbelts were cut off for the installation of hoardings. It noted that public property included roads, sidewalks, overhead bridges, underpasses, overhead pedestrian bridges, walkways, greenbelts, pedestrian lanes and storm water drains, which could not be allowed to be used for the installation of billboards.
-
Sarah Ferguson Receives Meaningful Plea From Princess Beatrice, Eugenie -
Why GTA 6 Was Delayed From Spring 2025 To 2026, Take-Two CEO Reveals -
Watch Michael Fassbender Make Bizarre Alien Joke As Cannes Audience Erupts -
Shakira Achieves Major Legal Victory In Tax Fraud Case -
Benny Blanco Explains Why He Avoids Discussing Intimate Life With Selena Gomez -
‘Last Human Victory’: Figure AI CEO Reacts After Intern Wins Man Vs Machine Challenge -
King Charles Official 'abdication Plan' Being Locked In With Palace Officials -
Brooklyn, Nicola Peltz Face Questions Over Separate Outing During New Beckham Family Celebration -
Software Will Become 'essentially Free,' Warns Anthropic CEO Amodei -
Hollywood Has Prepared Public For Aliens Since Tom Cruise’s Blockbuster, Scientist Claims -
Marjorie Taylor Greene Warns Of ‘political Revolution In America’ Amid Trump Iran Pressure -
Megan Moroney Finally Reveals Why She Didn't Attend 2026 ACM Awards -
Miranda Kerr Spills On Sons' Battle To Become CEO Of Her Company -
Meghan Markle 'exploits' Princess Lilibet For Clicks On Social Media? -
Elon Musk's SpaceX To Go Public: Here's Everything You Need To Know -
Margot Robbie Sets Record Straight On Longtime Rumor About Her