How to recover from shoulder injury

September 20, 2020

This week, our panel of experts answers your questions on a variety of issues ranging from elbow problems to shoulder and knee injuries

Q: I am 45. My favourite sport is rowing. Ten days ago, while participating in a competition, I was trying hard to take the lead, hence giving more power. I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder joint. The pain aggravated gradually, and I took myself out of the competition. I have consulted few doctors who suggested that the shoulder joint needs to be “re-fixed”. Please help me suggesting a good sports orthopedic specialist, who can help me in this regard. —Naeem-ur-Rehman.

A: As you have explained your issue, it seems evident that over use of shoulder has initiated your pain. To understand you must first look into the movement what happens during rowing.

As rowers raise their arms in overhead rowing motions, the space between the acromion and rotator cuff of the shoulder becomes constrained and can result in impingement on the biceps tendon, supraspinatus and bursa, causing irritation, inflammation, and pain.

This inflammation can settle with rest and NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-Inflammatory drugs).

In your case it seems that you have developed impingement of rotator cuff and may be a tear in supra spinatus insertion. This tear can be delineated by MRI of shoulder.

If there is a tear then it depends how big it is. Whether it needs some sort of surgical intervention or not. If surgery is required, it’s not a big deal. This can be done arthroscopically.

Dr. Nasir Ahmed

MCPS (Surg), FCPS (Tr & Orth)

Assistant Professor & Consultant | Department of Orthopaedic Surgery

Liaquat National Hospital & Medical College

Q: I love playing golf, but my swing is never accurate. The game veterans say that my elbow has a birth defect, which hampers my swings. Please advise me which doctor to visit to clear the perception, and cure, if any. I am 35 years old. —Mohammad Javed Siddiqi.

A: Regarding your question, if you do have a birth defect, it should be clinically examined and investigated to validate an observation. I would suggest you should see an orthopaedic surgeon for evaluation and management.

Prof. Dr. Zaki Idrees

FRCS, A.O. Fellow

Professor | Department of Orthopaedic


Liaquat National Hospital & Medical College

Q: While playing cricket, fielding on mid-wicket position, a powerful shot hit my knee. This happened two weeks ago and since then, I have difficulty in walking, a severe knee pain never subsidised and the area has a significant swelling. My fellow players say my “knee- cap or knee- chip” is fractured. Please help. My age is 27 years. —Manzar A. Khan.

A: knee injury during cricket is one of the most common injuries. Knee joint consists of many bony and soft tissue structures the integrity of which is extremely important for normal knee function.

Direct impact either from a hard tackle or bad fall can lead to various problems including fractures, injuries to ligaments, cartilage and tendons around the knee. Persistent swelling and pain for two weeks strongly suggest that there is injury in your knee joint.

It is advisable to undergo a complete evaluation of your knee joint which will include complete physical examination along with some radiological investigations in order to relieve your problem so that you can return to your sports without pain.

Dr. Muhammad Sufyan

FCPS (Ortho) AO Fellow (Germany), Sports Medicine Fellowship (Singapore)

Assistant Professor & Consultant | Department of Orthopaedic Surgery

Liaquat National Hospital & Medical College

Q: In January this year, I went to Swat for ice skating. The second day while skating, I lost my balance and fell down on my hips. Since then, I feel a severe pain in my left hip bone. The X-ray suggested no fracture and the doctor I visited said it’s a muscular pain. I need your help in suggesting a sports injuries specialist who can cure this ailment. I am 43 years old. —Mujtaba Hussain.

A: Ice skating is a very interesting and growing sport game in our region. Injury related to this sport generally have a severe impact on body parts as we lose our balance and the whole body weight is transferred to the injured area. Your injury needs further assessment to rule out any hair line fracture or any soft tissue injury like muscle spasm or tendon injury.

Sports medicine surgeon will manage your problem with correct diagnosis and best treatment plan, so that you may start your daily activity at previous level.

Dr. Muhammad Kazim Rahim

MD, FCPS (Ortho) AO Fellow (Germany), Sports medicine Fellow (IRI) (France), Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Fellowship (PAS, Pak)

Assistant Professor & Consultant | Department of Orthopaedic Surgery

Liaquat National Hospital & Medical College

All the specialists on our experts’ panel are associated with Liaquat National Hospital. Please send your queries at [email protected] or [email protected])

How to recover from shoulder injury