Iran asked for ‘adjustments’ to proposed N-deal: EU
MADRID: Iran requested "some adjustments" to a draft agreement on reviving a 2015 nuclear accord with major powers proposed by the European Union, the bloc’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on Tuesday.
During an interview with Spanish public television TVE, Borrell said "most" countries involved in nuclear talks with Iran agreed with the proposal, but that the United States had not yet responded.
The 2015 agreement between Iran and six world powers -- Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States -- gave the Islamic republic sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear programme.
The deal was designed to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon -- something it has always denied wanting to do. But in 2018, then US president Donald Trump, a strong critic of the deal, unilaterally pulled out and slapped heavier sanctions on Iran.
Earlier this month, after more than a year of talks coordinated by Borrell and his team, the EU submitted what it called a "final" proposed text -- which has not been made public -- to revive the accord.
"Iran responded by saying ‘yes but’, that is to say they want some adjustments," Borrell told TVE, without providing further details. During a press conference on Monday in Santander in northern Spain, he said Iran’s response had seemed "reasonable" to him and it was therefore submitted to the six world powers involved in the nuclear talks.
"We are waiting for their response, most of them agree, but there is still no answer from the United States... we expect to receive a reply during this week," he added. Iran has accused the United States of stalling a potential agreement, a charge rejected by Washington. US State Department spokesman Ned Price said on Monday that outstanding questions remained about Iran’s requested changes to the EU proposal.
-
Hailey Bieber's Subtle Gesture For Eric Dane’s Family Revealed -
Moment Prince William 'broke Down' And 'apologised' To Kate Middleton -
Paul Mescal And Gracie Abrams Stun Fans, Making Their Romance Public At 2026 BAFTA -
EU Rejects Any Rise In US Tariffs After Court Ruling, Says ‘a Deal Is A Deal’ -
King Charles Congratulates Team GB Over Winter Olympics Success -
Meryl Streep Comeback In 'Mamma Mia 3' On The Cards? Studio Head Shares Promising Update -
Woman Allegedly Used ChatGPT To Plan Murders Of Two Men, Police Say -
UK Seeks ‘best Possible Deal’ With US As Tariff Threat Looms -
Andrew Arrest Fallout: Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Face Demands Over Dropping Royal Titles -
Rebecca Gayheart Breaks Silence After Eric Dane's Death -
Kate Middleton 2026 BAFTA Dress Honours Queen Elizabeth Priceless Diamonds -
Sterling K. Brown's Wife Ryan Michelle Bathe Reveals Initial Hesitation Before Taking On New Role -
BAFTA Film Awards Winners: Complete List Of Winners -
Millie Bobby Brown On Her Desire To Have A Big Brood With Husband Jake Bongiovi -
Backstreet Boys Admit Aging Changed Everything Before Shows -
Biographer Exposes Aftermath Of Meghan Markle’s Emotional Breakdown