Avenfield property reference: IHC adjourns Maryam, Safdar appeals’ hearing to June 9
Defence lawyer Amjad Pervaiz contended that this case had no connection with the said suo motu case
ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Thursday adjourned hearing of appeals of PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz and her husband Capt (retd) Muhammad Safdar against their conviction in the Avenfield Property reference till June 9.
A two-judge bench comprising Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Mohsin Akhter Kayani heard the cases against the verdict of accountability court (AC). Maryam Nawaz, Capt (retd) Muhammad Safdar appeared before the court.
At the outset of hearing, National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Prosecutor Sardar Muzafar Abbasi said anamendment had been introduced in the NAB law and the bill in that regard was in the president’s office for assent, adding the NAB chairman was also leaving the charge of his office “today”.
The prosecutor said a suo motu case regarding appointments in NAB and the Federal Investigation Agency was also pending before the apex court. The court asked if the Supreme Court had stopped it (this court) from hearing the case and if the prosecutor had apex court’s order sheet?
Defence lawyer Amjad Pervaiz contended that this case had no connection with the said suo motu case. The prosecutor appointed in the previous regime was not changed and was still present in the court despite the regime change, he added.
He said that the Supreme Court had formed a joint investigation team (JIT) which submitted its report on July 10, 2017 and the apex court ordered the NAB to file a reference on July 28, 2017.
He said the trial court framed charges against the accused on October 19, 2017. The lawyer said the JIT head Wajid Zia had not stated how the MLA (mutual legal assistance) was sent abroad and what question it carried.
The counsel said the Volume-10 of the JIT report was not shared with the defence as it was sealed by the apex court and their request for its provision was dismissed. Justice Kayani remarked that if it was not shared with the accused then it would also not be used against the defence.
The lawyer said he had conducted cross examination on the basis of common sense as the punishment was given on the letters included in the said volume. The NAB Deputy Prosecutor General said four or five letters regarding the mutual legal assistance were shared with the defence. Justice Farooq remarked that the purpose of documents’ provision was allowing the lawyers to prepare the defence. An accused was a favourite child of the court during trial, he added.
To a query, Amjad Pervaiz said NAB had attached the transcripts of Nawaz Sharif’s speech and interviews of Hassan, Hussain Nawaz and Maryam Nawaz with the supplementary reference. The lawyer said the charge sheet of every crime should be clear in accordance of the law, however, justice in the present case had been denied.
He argued that the testimony of 16 witnesses had been completed when the application was moved to summon the NAB director general for provision of letters’ record. The defence plea to postpone final judgment was dismissed when former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and Maryam Nawaz were in London while Kalsoom Nawaz was on the death bed, he added.
Amjad Pervaiz said the trial court had acquitted the accused from charges of corruption and dishonesty, and NAB had not challenged it. His clients were given sentences on charges of holding assets beyond sources of income, he added.
The court asked the lawyer to also keep in mind the effects of changes in the charge sheet after the supplementary reference. The court adjourned the case till June 9, wherein Amjad Pervaiz would continue his arguments.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years