Over 400 shops destroyed in Lahore plaza inferno
LAHORE: At least 404 shops were destroyed in a fire in Gulberg’s Pace Plaza in the wee hours of Monday.
No loss of life or injury was reported. The fire erupted at midnight when all the shops were closed. Firefighters put out the blaze well after 10 hours. Rescue 1122 got the first call at 12:45am. The firefighting operation continued whole night in which 22 fire vehicles and 92 rescuers took part.
Rescue Director General Rizwan Naseer said the plaza did not have functional fire hydrants and exit passages. He said the firefighters had to face trouble while conducting the operation in the absence of exit passages.
The DG said the fire had been put out but the cooling process was going on. Shopkeepers, on the other hand, have lashed out at the plaza administration and accused it of deliberately arson.
“The administration has been asking the traders to evacuate the shops”, said a trader. Police have taken into custody the plaza security in-charge.
Commissioner Muhammad Usman has said an inquiry through a high-powered committee having representation from multiple departments and agencies would be conducted.
The shops on four floors of the plaza were full of garments, cosmetics, hosiery and other combustible material. The fire in short span of time spread to almost all the floors. Flames and fumes could be seen from a distance. The plaza on fire had also explosions after brief intervals.
As the news spread, the traders and nearby residents apart from police, rescuers and media persons started gathering in the surrounding. The Rescue 1122 DG said that the cause of the fire would be ascertained after thorough investigations.
He also appealed to the public, traders and plaza owners to ensure fire safety measures at all costs. He asked for installation of two safety measures instantly --- functional hydrants and fire exits.
The commissioner said that a high-powered committee would investigate the fire while another committee would prepare a loss estimation report and submit it to the deputy commissioner before being furnished to the government.
Chief Minister Usman Buzdar has also taken notice of the incident and asked the authorities concerned to submit a report. Two years back in October 2020, a heavy fire in an electronics business centre next to the plaza was completely burnt destroying over 200 shops of laptops and cell phones.
Three years back, a plaza near Center Point on the boulevard was also burnt. The Gulberg police have lodged a complaint against the owners of the plaza, stating that two months back, they had a meeting with them to get the building vacated by taking as much money as they wanted.
The traders said that the plaza had been closed at 11:30pm as per routine after switching off the main power breaker. They ruled out a power short-circuit as the cause and accused the management of arson.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years