Fresh probe into Model Town incident: LHC resumes hearing against formation of new JIT
LAHORE: A larger bench of the Lahore High Court on Tuesday resumed hearing petitions against the formation of a new Joint Investigation Team (JIT) by the Punjab government for a fresh probe into the 2014 Model Town incident.
As the bench headed by Chief Justice Muhammad Ameer Bhatti started proceedings, Advocate Azam Nazir Tarar and Barrister Syed Ali Zafar appeared on behalf of the petitioners and the families of the victims respectively.
Chief Justice Bhatti observed that the bench would hear the petitions afresh as he was not part of the bench previously hearing the matter. Tarar requested the bench to hear the case on a daily basis for three days as he is scheduled to visit Moscow as an election observer on September 17.
The bench initially asked Barrister Zafar to start his arguments on the point of the maintainability of the petitions. However, the bench later decided to hear arguments of Advocate Tarar on the question of the maintainability. To different queries of the bench’s members, Tarar said the affectees of the incident had not joined the proceedings before the first JIT made by the police. He said the trial proceedings came to a halt after the Pakistan Awami Party (PAT) filed a private complaint before the trial court. He said the suspects/petitioners were indicted in the private complaint on April 12, 2018 and 86 witnesses have testified so far.
The counsel said the application filed by Bisma Amjad, daughter of a deceased woman, before the Supreme Court had no prayer for the formation of a new JIT. However, he said, the government undertook before the court to constitute a new JIT, which was notified on January 3, 2019.
He argued that the criminal law and the anti-terrorism law have no provision for fresh investigations into an incident. The bench would resume hearing on Wednesday (today). Justice Malik Shahzad Ahmad Khan, Justice Aalia Neelum, Justice Syed Shahbaz Ali Rizvi, Justice Sardar Ahmad Naeem, Justice Sardar Muhammad Sarfraz Dogar and Justice Tariq Saleem Sheikh are the other members of the bench.
-
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest -
Hilary Duff Finally Addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic Mom Group' Essay -
Ryan Coogler Explains Why His Latest Project 'Sinners' Is So Close To His Heart -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Longtime Friend Shares True Feelings Of Royal Couple On Andrew Arrest -
Who Is Punch? Here’s Everything To Know About The Viral Sensation Winning Over Internet -
Andrew's 'mental Health' Concerns Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media