Separate budget for S Punjab to address its deprivations: Qureshi
MULTAN: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Sunday said that the PTI-led government has come up with a separate budget for South Punjab for the first time in the country’s history.
The comments came during a press conference the foreign minister held after visiting the South Punjab Secretariat.
He said that work on the city’s master plan is underway, while a separate budget of Rs186 billion has been set aside for South Punjab as per the government’s promise, adding that the budget will solve the long-standing deprivations that the region had been facing.
The minister added that in case the allocated money is not spent on a certain scheme, it will be utilised for another scheme in South Punjab.
“The government will ensure that every penny earmarked for South Punjab in the budget will be spent to develop the region,” the foreign minister said. “It is the agenda of the PTI government to develop every city and town of South Punjab.”
Qureshi said that the demand for turning South Punjab into a province is above all prejudices, adding that the establishment of a separate province will be a prelude to the fastest development in the region.
“For the purpose, the timely completion of all developmental projects is essential,” he said. “Planning related to the allocation of funds for different projects is yet to be done.” The minister said that since the production of cotton has declined in Multan, the government has decided to make the Cotton Research Institute functional again under the programmes of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
He added that the Chairman of the CPEC Authority Asim Saleem Bajwa will visit Multan for the purpose next week.
Answering a question related to the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), the minister said that if FATF members will have to decide if it is a technical forum or a political one.
“If FATF is a technical forum, then Pakistan should be on its white list,” he said.
He added that India, along with some other powers, has tried to politicise the forum.
“Pakistan has been told that if all the 27 points of FATF are fulfilled, it will be moved to the white list,” he said. “The country has successfully implemented 26 points, so it will be removed from the grey list soon.” Qureshi also spoke about Afghanistan and said that violence is likely to escalate in the country once the American troops withdraw from there. “Pakistan does not want a further influx of refugees from Afghanistan,” the foreign minister said.
-
Sydney Sweeney Pays Tribute To 'Euphoria' Co-star Eric Dane After His Death: 'Forever Will Love You' -
Kayla Nicole Reveals Surprising Reason Behind Separation From Travis Kelce -
Andrew Made Major Demand To King Charles Before Arrest -
Political Tensions Steal Spotlight At Berlin Film Festival Closing Ceremony -
King Charles In Hot Water After Andrew Arrest: ‘Step Down!’ -
Space-based Solar Power Could Push The World Beyond Net Zero: Here’s How -
Kate Walsh Remembers Her 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane Following His Death At 53 -
AI Ad Wars Begin As Perplexity Snubs ChatGPT Advertising -
Microsoft Copilot Bug Exposes Confidential Emails To AI -
Eric Dane Final Emotional Words Revealed After Tragic Death -
Prince William 'furious' Regarding His Own Future After Andrew Arrest -
Charli XCX Reveals ‘confusing’ Toll ‘Brat’ Popularity Took On Her -
Android Phones At Risk: PromptSpy Malware Exploits AI -
Barry Manilow Gives Insight Into 'very Depressing' Doctor Visit As He Postpones 2026 Arena Tour Due To Cancer -
Margot Robbie Opens Up About Imposter Syndrome ‘crisis’ -
'Desperate' Sarah Ferguson Won't Go Down Without A Fight