Qureshi slams ‘sabotage’ of South Punjab’s autonomy
Ag APP
ISLAMABAD: Any attempt to “sabotage” the administrative autonomy of South Punjab will meet tough resistance by political workers and the 40 million locals, foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi vowed on Tuesday.
“We will ensure complete transfer of power in South Punjab,” Qureshi pledged in a meeting on administrative affairs of South Punjab through video link.
The foreign minister’s remarks come after a now-cancelled Punjab government notification issued on March 30 which rolled back the plan to grant South Punjab administrative autonomy. Chief Minister Usman Buzdar on Friday chalked it up to a “human error”.
Qureshi said South Punjab was included in the manifesto of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf by Prime Minister Imran Khan. He said the demand for South Punjab’s provincial autonomy was not linguistic or political, but rather an administrative desire.
He termed the March 30 notification a “conspiracy against power devolution in South Punjab” and was “in continuity of the previous such attempts”. Qureshi regretted that no strategy had been formulated to define the expenditure of Rs4 billion allocated for South Punjab and urged the bureaucracy to be serious in that regard.
“How many secretaries and inspectors general visited the districts of South Punjab,” he asked in the meeting. The foreign minister said Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar had a “golden opportunity” to ensure the implementation of the process leading towards the autonomy of South Punjab. He lauded the members of national and provincial assemblies and ministers hailing from South Punjab to reject the “conspiracy” of the notification. He mentioned that the Pakistan Peoples Party and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz had promised to establish the South Punjab province, but later “demonstrated hypocrisy”.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'