SHC grants permission to Nisar Khuhro to travel abroad
The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday granted one-time permission to Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, a Pakistan Peoples Party leader and the adviser to the Sindh chief minister on works and services, to travel abroad for 38 days.
Khuhro, who in his long political career has served as the opposition leader in the Sindh Assembly, Sindh Assembly speaker and the provincial food minster, had approached the SHC against placement of his name on the Exit Control List (ECL) due to pending National Accountability Bureau’s corruption inquiries and investigations.
The petitioner’s counsel, Farooq H Naek, submitted that the wife of the Khuhro, who had been living in the United States with children, was seriously ill and the petitioner needed to travel to attend to his wife and kids.
Naek submitted that the petitioner intended to leave the country on April 7 and return on May 17, and requested the high court to grant one-time permission to him to travel abroad. A NAB special prosecutor submitted that the petitioner was facing NAB inquiries and investigations on charges of corruption and accumulation of wealth, and defended the NAB letter for placement of his name on the ECL. He said the high court might pass any order in accordance with the law.
A division bench of the SHC headed by Justice Mohammad Iqbal Kalhoro remarked that it was not disputed that no reference against the petitioner had been filed yet though he had been involved in three investigations for the last two years in which no any complaint of non-cooperation with NAB had been made.
The bench observed that the petitioner was allowed to travel abroad from April 7 to May 17 as a one-time permission and adjourned the hearing of the case till May 19.
It is pertinent to mention that Khuhro had also obtained protective pre-arrest bail in connection with two NAB inquiries against the provincial food department officials and him for release of wheat to mill owners through unsecured guarantees and money laundering charges. The NAB call-up notices had sought replies from Khuhro with regard to release of wheat on credit against unsecured guarantees of post-dated cheques to the mill owners, causing huge losses to the national exchequer.
In another call-up notice, NAB had sought details of Khuhro’s sources of income and expenditures from 2017 to 2019 as Rs47.9 million were recorded in Khuhro’s bank account wherein $70,000 were transferred to different individuals in the US during April 2017 till April 2018.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years