Chaudhry Sugar Mills case: LHC seeks Maryam’s reply by April 7
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) Monday questioned over one year delay by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in seeking cancelation of post-arrest bail of PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz in Chaudhry Sugar Mills case.
A two-judge bench, headed by Justice Sardar Muhammad Sarfraz Dogar, asked the prosecution as to why the NAB wanted the court to cancel the bail of the respondent. Deputy Prosecutor General Chaudhry Khaliquz Zaman said the basic ground for cancellation of bail was misuse of concession by the respondent.
“How did Maryam misuse the bail?” the bench asked the prosecutor. He said the respondent had been avoiding her appearance before the NAB. The prosecutor pointed out that the workers of the respondent’s party attacked police and hurled stones at the office of the NAB when she was summoned to appear before the investigators on Aug 11, 2020.
He said the bureau got a case registered [of the incident] with the police concerned adding that the appearance of the respondent was required for investigation. “Where have you been for a year and how many times the NAB has summoned her after the incident?” Justice Dogar asked the prosecutor.
The prosecutor said the respondent had not been summoned in the wake of by-polls and election of the Senate. The respondent would have used it to take advantage among the public, he added. After hearing initial contention of the prosecutor, the bench issued notice to Maryam Nawaz for her reply by April 7. The NAB in its petition alleged that the respondent had chosen a path of attacking the state institutions and tried to cause friction in the rank and file of armed forces and was also inciting the general public against them by publicly attacking them and the heads of other institutions.
The NAB argued that the conduct of the respondent attracted specific grounds to seek cancellation of post arrest bail. A two-judge bench had granted bail to Ms Nawaz on Nov 4, 2019 on bail.
-
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years -
Eric Dane Drops Raw Confession For Rebecca Gayheart In Final Interview -
Trump Announces New 10% Global Tariff After Supreme Court Setback -
Influencer Dies Days After Plastic Surgery: Are Cosmetic Procedures Really Safe? -
Eric Dane Confesses Heartbreaking Regret About Daughters' Weddings Before Death -
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Reveals Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Diagnosis -
Timothee Chalamet Admits He Was 'grumpy' Before Beau Kylie Jenner's Unexpected Move -
Hilary Duff’s Son Roasts Her Outfit In New Album Interview -
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
David, Victoria Beckham Gushes Over 'fiercely Loyal' Son Cruz On Special Day