PHC bans TikTok
PESHAWAR: The Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Thursday banned the social media application TikTok after complaints that it was spreading immorality.
The order was issued by a bench headed by the PHC Chief Justice Qaiser Rashid Khan.
During the hearing, the director-general Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) told the court they have approached the TikTok authorities after receiving complaints of the presence of immoral videos on the forum but had yet to get any positive response from the company.
Two woman lawyers, Nazish Muzaffar and Sara Ali, had moved the court against the objectionable contents being uploaded on the app.
Justice Qaiser Rashid Khan observed that the videos uploaded on TikTok were not acceptable to the Pakistani society. He said the application is mostly affecting the youth of the country.
The bench asked the PTA director-general if the ban on the Chinese-owned app will have an effect. He replied in the affirmative.
“The app will remain banned till the company officials positively respond to the government on stopping immoral videos,” the chief justice directed.
The ban was imposed immediately.
Earlier, the application was banned in October last year after the receipt of similar complaints. However, the PTA unblocked the Chinese app the same month after the company assured it would censor the immoral videos and keep a check on objectionable content. TikTok is a video-sharing social networking service serving as a platform to make short videos with a duration of 15 seconds to one minute.
There are millions of people using TikTok in Pakistan and other countries across the world. Some of the videos, however, earned criticism as the people complained the app was spreading immorality in society.
There were also reports of deaths in the last few years due to the videos being uploaded on the app.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years