Ex-president Zardari gets bail on medical grounds in NAB inquiry
ISLAMABAD: A division bench of the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday granted former president Asif Ali Zardari bail on medical grounds in a National Accountability Bureau (NAB) inquiry pertaining to suspicious transactions worth Rs8 billion.
The bench, comprising Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kiyani, heard the pre-arrest bail case of Asif Zardari.
Zardari’s counsel Farouk Naek stated that the medical board had submitted its report regarding the health of former president in detail. The bail petition had been filed on medical grounds, he said, adding that his client would cooperate with the NAB investigation.
To a query by the bench, NAB’s Deputy Prosecutor General Sardar Muzaffar Abbasi said the case is in the investigation stage and a reference has yet to be filed. He said there were a total of four references filed against Zardari pertaining to fake bank accounts.
Justice Farooq asked Naek whether his client had also given an application to shift the cases to Karachi courts. To this, the lawyer said yes he had filed an application in that regard.
Justice Kiyani asked whether NAB had filed any appeal to cancel the bail of Zardari in another case. He also asked that how many times the bureau would arrest the same person. The NAB prosecutor said “now the NAB inquiry has been conducted”. Naek stated his client had been in NAB’s custody for more than two months on physical remand.
Justice Farooq asked whether the petitioner had made a payment against property. Naek said the property was purchased, but the NAB had declared the account as fake. The NAB prosecutor said the 1,700-yard land was on the name of the petitioner. Justice Kiyani asked the NAB whether it thinks that the accused could flee. The NAB prosecutor said the co-accused in this case, Mushtaq Ahmed, was Grade 15 employee who “fled abroad” and that the former president made a special request to appoint Mushtaq Ahmed as a secretary.
The court then asked the NAB prosecutor whether he had any objections over the medical report. The opinion of the medical board cannot be false, the court added, saying that the law is that the accused has to return after his medical treatment.
Naek requested the court to grant bail to his client on medical grounds, adding that Zardari was ready to join the NAB investigation. He stated that his client’s name was on the Exit Control List already and he was providing arguments just on the bail petition.
“We are ready to give an undertaking that Asif Zardari will appear whenever the NAB investigators summon him,” he said. The court subsequently granted bail to Zardari on medical grounds after listening to arguments from both sides.
-
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens