Supreme Court stops NAB from probing Peshawar BRT project
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court (SC) on Tuesday set aside the order of Peshawar High Court (PHC) directing the National Accountability Bureau to probe different aspects of Peshawar Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) project.
A three-member SC bench, headed by Justice Umar Ata Bandial, allowed the appeal of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (KP) government and the Peshawar Development Authority (PDA), challenging the order, passed by the PHC on July 17, 2018, directing NAB and the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to conduct an inquiry into different aspects of the project.
The court held that no reasons were given in the impugned judgment and, after disposal of earlier writ, it had become functus officio, having no jurisdiction to make any further orders in a decided matter.
The court, however, extended the restraining order of the FIA from investigating the case by one month and directed the PDA to submit a concise reply and adjourned the hearing for a month.
A PHC division bench, headed by Chief Justice Waqar Ahmed Seth (late), while hearing different petitions, had held vide its order July 17, 2018 that the “delay, the contract awarding process, feasibility and all the issues relating to BRT are all shady and shaky”, and directed NAB to conduct an inquiry/ investigation into the matter relating to enhancement in scope of work and date of completion of BRT project and also transparency of the project.
NAB was directed to submit its report to PHC on Sept 5, 2018. Further, Israrul Haq was relieved as the project director of the BRT “forthwith” with the direction that a new project director from the provincial cadre or Peshawar Development Authority, etc. be appointed.
Later on, the KP government and the PDA challenged the PHC order in the Supreme Court. The apex court on Tuesday granted leave to the appeal of KP government after suspending the operation of the PHC order.
Senior Advocate Makhdoom Ali Khan appeared before the court, representing the Peshawar Development Authority (PDA), while Shumail Butt, Advocate General Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, also appeared before the court.
Makhdo9m Ali submitted that the decision of the PHC suffered from a series of legal defects. He submitted that earlier a PHC bench, headed by Justice Yahya Afridi, had dismissed a petition challenging the project.
No appeal was filed by anyone against that judgment, which became final, Makhdoom said adding that later another division bench reopened the same case without anyone having filed a review petition against it or having called it in question under any legal provision.
This was done on a report, submitted by the Traffic Police on the rerouting of traffic in Peshawar due to BRT, the counsel said adding that the PHC, on this report ordered NAB to investigate the project.
Makhdoom Ali Khan submitted that there was no evidence or other legal basis for the direction of PHC. In any event, such a direction could not have been given in a petition which had already been decided in favour of the KP government by the PHC and the decision had remained unchallenged.
Two petitioners, including Fazal Karim Afridi and Adnan Afridi, had challenged before the Peshawar High Court, raising of different structures of the project adjacent to their houses in Hayatabad Township.
Another petitioner, advocate Isa Khan, had requested the PHC to order construction of overhead bridges or under-passes for pedestrians at a distance of not more than 100 meters. The bench had formulated 35 points asking the FIA to probe it and act against the delinquents if found in the inquiry report.
-
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row -
Dove Cameron Calls '56 Days' Casting 'Hollywood Fever Dream' -
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther'