IHC CJ says courts shouldn’t be used for political motives
ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Monday ordered for clubbing all petitions seeking disqualification of the MNAs and MPAs, as the court would hear and give a combined ruling on it.
The court set March-9 date to hear the combined petitions. The cases would be wrapped up together so that the court could listen to other petitioners, the court remarked. The court made the remarks while hearing the disqualification case against Federal Science Minister Fawad Chaudhry on Monday.
IHC Chief Justice Athar Minallah remarked that the court had a clear stance on hearing cases against the representatives of the government. The courts should not be used for political motives. “Why should we hear cases that will eventually lead to the criticism of the courts?”
The petitioner said the court had to make a decision if the law was violated anywhere, adding that former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was also disqualified by the courts. Former chief justice Asif Saeed Khosa said that the Parliament should amend Article 62 (1)(f). If it remains the same, then all of us could be disqualified under it, the court added. Article 62 (1)(f) of the Constitution is a provision requiring elected officials to be ‘sadiq and ameen’ [honest and righteous]. Former PM Nawaz Sharif and PTI leader Jahangir Tareen were disqualified under this clause. If people have been electing the wrong representatives, then let them do so, said Justice Minallah. Giving verdicts on political matters has affected the judiciary, he added.
“We trust people to make the right decision,” he said, adding that matters that relate to a person’s competence and disqualification should be solved out of courts. Fawad Chaudhry, who attended the hearing, said whatever had been presented in the court was nothing but a classic example of blackmailing. “Courts are supposed to protect us from being blackmailed.”
Responding to Fawad Ch, Justice Minallah said politicians should play their role in changing the blackmail culture. “People hurl abuses at judges on the social media,” he remarked, adding that MPAs and MNAs should try to change this culture too.
Journalist Sami Ibrahim had filed a disqualification petition against the federal minister two years ago. He claimed that the minister did not disclose details of the land he owns in Jhelum in his nomination papers for the 2018 general election. He is no longer ‘sadiq and ameen’ and should be disqualified, he argued.
-
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest