International badminton competition in Japan cancelled over virus
TOKYO: An international badminton competition due to take place this spring in Japan has been cancelled, organisers said Saturday, the latest sporting event to be hit by virus travel restrictions just six months before the Tokyo Olympics.
The Yonex Osaka International Challenge for young players was called off “because it is difficult to host foreign players” under current immigration rules, the Nippon Badminton Association said.
An association spokesman told AFP that he was concerned about the fate of other badminton competitions used as qualifiers for the Olympics.
“We are worried about whether competitions scheduled for March onwards — which will be used as part of the selection process for Olympic athletes — will be held as scheduled,” he said on condition of anonymity.
The cancelled competition had been scheduled to take place from March 31 to April 4.
Large parts of Japan including Tokyo and the western city of Osaka are under a state of emergency to tackle a spike in coronavirus cases, with borders closed to almost all foreigners with no exception for athletes.
The first Tokyo Olympics test event of 2021, an artistic swimming competition scheduled for March, was postponed on Thursday for two months — also because of travel restrictions.
On the same day, it was announced that the Japanese team had withdrawn from a women’s four-nation football tournament in Florida next month because of the surge in Covid-19 infections in Japan.
The Tokyo Olympics — initially set to take place last year but postponed due to the virus — are set to start on July 23.
Despite growing concern over the event’s feasibility, organisers and the IOC insist it can be held safely.
-
Huge Donations Made On Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Matty Healy Sets Summer Wedding Date Close To Ex Taylor Swift's Nuptials -
Jennifer Lawrence On Her Complicated Relationship With Fame While Battling Rejection: 'Annoying' -
Protest Held Outside Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Home -
NASA Targets March 6 For Launch Of Crewed Mission Around Moon Following Successful Rocket Fueling Test -
Conan O'Brien Addresses Rob Reiner's Tragic Death After Explosive Clash At Christmas Bash -
Princess Eugenie, Beatrice's Major Plan With King Charles Revealed After Andrew Arrest -
Prince William Out Of Trouble As King Charles Faces Andrew Scandal Fallout -
Sir Paul McCartney Gets Honest About Whether He Broke Up The Beatles -
Brad Falchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow's Husband, Opens Up About Eric Dane's 'Famous Last Words' -
Sarah Ferguson Leaves Andrew 'furious' With Stunning Move: 'It's All-out War Now' -
Greenland Ice Sheet Acts Like ‘churning Molten Rock,’ Scientists Find -
Sydney Sweeney Pays Tribute To 'Euphoria' Co-star Eric Dane After His Death: 'Forever Will Love You' -
Kayla Nicole Reveals Surprising Reason Behind Separation From Travis Kelce -
Andrew Made Major Demand To King Charles Before Arrest -
Political Tensions Steal Spotlight At Berlin Film Festival Closing Ceremony