International badminton competition in Japan cancelled over virus
TOKYO: An international badminton competition due to take place this spring in Japan has been cancelled, organisers said Saturday, the latest sporting event to be hit by virus travel restrictions just six months before the Tokyo Olympics.
The Yonex Osaka International Challenge for young players was called off “because it is difficult to host foreign players” under current immigration rules, the Nippon Badminton Association said.
An association spokesman told AFP that he was concerned about the fate of other badminton competitions used as qualifiers for the Olympics.
“We are worried about whether competitions scheduled for March onwards — which will be used as part of the selection process for Olympic athletes — will be held as scheduled,” he said on condition of anonymity.
The cancelled competition had been scheduled to take place from March 31 to April 4.
Large parts of Japan including Tokyo and the western city of Osaka are under a state of emergency to tackle a spike in coronavirus cases, with borders closed to almost all foreigners with no exception for athletes.
The first Tokyo Olympics test event of 2021, an artistic swimming competition scheduled for March, was postponed on Thursday for two months — also because of travel restrictions.
On the same day, it was announced that the Japanese team had withdrawn from a women’s four-nation football tournament in Florida next month because of the surge in Covid-19 infections in Japan.
The Tokyo Olympics — initially set to take place last year but postponed due to the virus — are set to start on July 23.
Despite growing concern over the event’s feasibility, organisers and the IOC insist it can be held safely.
-
Niall Horan Drops Emotional Song In Memory Of Late One Direction Bandmate Liam Payne -
Dustin Hoffman Sets Clear Boundaries At 88: 'I Can't Look' -
Stephen Colbert Gushes Over His Wife Evelyn McGee Colbert -
Harry Styles' Fiancée Zoë Kravitz Feels 'excited' For One Reason Amid His Tour In Europe -
Google Challenges US Antitrust Ruling In Landmark Search Monopoly Case -
Trump Confirms He Will Not Attend Son Donald Trump Jr.'s Wedding With Bettina Anderson -
Jack Antonoff Has Awkward Response To Taylor Swift Wedding Question -
Gayle King Reveals Marriage ‘red Flag’ Involving Her Dog -
China's To Debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' In June -
As Stephen Colbert Exits 'The Late Show' Podcasts Have The Last Laugh -
Trump Says Aaron Lukas Will Serve As Acting Director Of National Intelligence Following Tulsi Gabbard's Resignation -
Uber Considers Full Takeover Of Delivery Hero In Major Expansion Move: Report -
‘MobLand’ Future In Question As Tom Hardy Faces Firing Claims -
Danny Go's Son Isaac Dies At 14 -
Princess Anne And Husband Represent King Charles In Foreign Visit -
Prince William Travels Hundreds Of Kilometers From Family For Royal Duties After Istanbul Trip