International badminton competition in Japan cancelled over virus
TOKYO: An international badminton competition due to take place this spring in Japan has been cancelled, organisers said Saturday, the latest sporting event to be hit by virus travel restrictions just six months before the Tokyo Olympics.
The Yonex Osaka International Challenge for young players was called off “because it is difficult to host foreign players” under current immigration rules, the Nippon Badminton Association said.
An association spokesman told AFP that he was concerned about the fate of other badminton competitions used as qualifiers for the Olympics.
“We are worried about whether competitions scheduled for March onwards — which will be used as part of the selection process for Olympic athletes — will be held as scheduled,” he said on condition of anonymity.
The cancelled competition had been scheduled to take place from March 31 to April 4.
Large parts of Japan including Tokyo and the western city of Osaka are under a state of emergency to tackle a spike in coronavirus cases, with borders closed to almost all foreigners with no exception for athletes.
The first Tokyo Olympics test event of 2021, an artistic swimming competition scheduled for March, was postponed on Thursday for two months — also because of travel restrictions.
On the same day, it was announced that the Japanese team had withdrawn from a women’s four-nation football tournament in Florida next month because of the surge in Covid-19 infections in Japan.
The Tokyo Olympics — initially set to take place last year but postponed due to the virus — are set to start on July 23.
Despite growing concern over the event’s feasibility, organisers and the IOC insist it can be held safely.
-
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest -
Hilary Duff Finally Addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic Mom Group' Essay -
Ryan Coogler Explains Why His Latest Project 'Sinners' Is So Close To His Heart -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Longtime Friend Shares True Feelings Of Royal Couple On Andrew Arrest -
Who Is Punch? Here’s Everything To Know About The Viral Sensation Winning Over Internet -
Andrew's 'mental Health' Concerns Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media