Balochistan govt urges PDM to delay Quetta meeting amid security fears
QUETTA: The Balochistan government on Friday urged the Pakistan Democratic Movement's (PDM) leadership to delay its October 25 jalsa in Quetta, citing security concerns, Geo News reported.
"Terrorists are targeting political leadership in Balochistan," said Liaquat Shahwani, the Balochistan government spokesperson, during a news conference. Shahwani's comments come a day after the National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA) in Islamabad issued a threat alert for Peshawar and Quetta, sayingthat banned militant outfit Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) is planning terrorist activities in the two cities.
A statement by the authority said that the TTP aims to target religious and political parties in bomb attacks and suicide bombings. Another major terror attack also took place near Ormara a few days earlier when fourteen, including seven FC personnel, were martyred when an Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDCL) convoy was attacked by a large number of terrorists.
Claiming that the government was taking security issues seriously in Balochistan, Shahwani said that Opposition parties should show some responsibility. The government's concerns have risen following a rise in security threats, the spokesperson said, adding that a terror bid was recently foiled in the province's Qamar Din Karez Tehsil.
Noting that the past law and order situation was a cause of fear in the province, Shahwani highlighted that the PDM had already delayed its jalsa two times earlier. "We do not have any issues with the [PDM] holding jalsas. The government will provide every facility to the [Opposition] whenever it holds rallies next," Shahwani added.
The Quetta jalsa is the third anti-government power show of the 11-party alliance. The first and second rallies were held in Gujranwala and Karachi, where the Opposition had slammed Prime Minister Imran Khan over his policies.
The next jalsas of the PDM are to be held in Peshawar, Multan, and Lahore on November 22, 30, and December 13, respectively.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final