Al-Arabia Sugar Mills, Faruki Pulp Mills case: LHC seeks arguments from Centre, petitioners’ counsel
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court Monday sought further arguments from the federal government and petitioners’ lawyer on the petitions field by Al-Arabia Sugar Mills and Faruki Pulp Mills, challenging the FIA inquiries in light of the Sugar Commission’s report.
Al-Arabia Sugar Mills belongs to the PML-N President Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif’s family and Faruki Pulp Mills to Jahangir Khan Tareen. A federal law officer had already undertaken before the court that the administrations of petitioners/companies would not be summoned or coerced by the agency until next hearing.
Both the mills filed the petitions – through their company secretaries – pleading that the action being taken by the FIA was illegal, as it was ordered by the federal cabinet despite having no such jurisdiction.
They said the whole process, including the constitution of Sugar Inquiry Commission and subsequent proceedings by the FIA and Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP), had been done on the direction of Mirza Shahzad Akbar, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Accountability and Interior.
The petitions said the federal cabinet also ordered action against the sugar mills in light of the Commission’s inquiry report. It was further contended that the cabinet had no jurisdiction to hold any individual or organization guilty of any alleged offence.
The impugned inquiries were in violation of the SECP Act, the Companies Act, the Income Tax Ordinance and the Sales Tax Act. The petitions argued that the FIA could initiate proceedings only on a reference sent by the SECP.
They argued that an inquiry being held on the order of the federal government could not be transparent and impartial. The court will resume hearing on Tuesday (today).
-
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest