German Olympic boxing team hit by Covid-19
BERLIN: The German Boxing Federation on Sunday reported that a “large part” of its 25-strong Tokyo Olympic Games team has contracted Covid-19 while training in the Austrian Alps.
The group, made up of 18 boxers and seven other staff members, must now remain in quarantine at the training camp in Laengenfeld in Tirol, DBV director Michael Mueller said.
Without specifying numbers he said “a large part of the team” was affected but that everyone was doing well so far.
“The boxers are now in quarantine. They aren’t showing strong symptoms and can even keep training,” Mueller told AFP’s SID subsidiary.
The athletes’ conditions are being carefully monitored and they should be allowed to return home in the coming week, he added.
German weekly Der Spiegel had earlier reported that the boxers, who are training for the postponed Tokyo Olympics, started showing signs of a cold on Tuesday before suspicions of Covid-19 were confirmed on Wednesday.
The training camp was the team’s first foray abroad since the start of the pandemic.
German media were quick to point out that the boxers were staying at the same Laengenfeld hotel where Bundesliga football team Schalke 04 stayed in late August, and that one of their players also tested positive for the coronavirus while there.
Mueller defended the decision to take the boxing team abroad.
“We have gained some valuable experiences that we can use on our next trips,” Mueller said.
“Anyone who thinks the preparation for the Olympics can happen without any coronavirus cases, is not living in reality.”
-
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest