Paraguay suspends football restart after spate of virus cases
ASUNCION, Paraguay: Paraguay’s football association (APF) announced on Friday it was suspending the restart of its national football league after players from three teams tested positive for the coronavirus.
The country was due to be the first national league in South America to restart its championship on Friday, albeit under strict health protocols.
The APF medical commission revealed on Friday that more than 50 positive cases had been detected across three teams, with the health ministry subsequently recommending the restart be postponed.
The 12 de Octubre team reported 35 positive cases while there were 14 from Guarani and four at San Lorenzo. Three referees also tested positive.
“The association has decided to postpone the restart of the Opening Tournament 2020,” the APF said in a statement.
“We’ve come to an agreement with the presidents of the 12 first division clubs to restart the championship next Wednesday July 22, at the latest.”
The APF said it would carry out mass testing on players, coaches and officials.
Prior to the restart, one player from 12 de Octubre was isolated from his team after breaking quarantine rules and getting arrested by police after being involved in a traffic accident.
-
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies