Sahiwal Rental Power reference: Mere irregularity cannot be declared as crime
ISLAMABAD: An Accountability Court (AC) Thursday issued written order in a case pertaining to acquittal of former prime minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf and others in Sahiwal Rental Power reference.
AC-I Judge Muhammad Bashir issued the written order the other day.
It said former prime minister Pervaiz Ashraf had been acquitted under National Accountability Bureau (NAB) (Amendment) Ordinance 2019. The court said the application filed under the ordinance could be entertained even after expiry of law in accordance with the Article 264 of the Constitution.
The ordinance was active when Raja Ashraf and other accused had filed the acquittal petitions.
It further said reference pertaining to misuse of powers against the accused could not be established under NAB (Amendment) Ordinance 2019. The seven percent down payment given to the rental power company had been taken back in accordance with the witness, the order said.
In light of the Supreme Court orders, the NAB had to view whether the accused had received any financial benefit from the project.
The court said NAB had not produced any evidence proving that the accused had taken any kickbacks, adding mere irregularity could not be declared as a crime.
The order said initial type of burden of proof was on NAB s shoulder to launch a trial against the accused nominated in the reference.
It was necessary for the prosecution to first satisfy the court whether that case could be prepared or not.
It may be mentioned here that the NAB had named Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, former finance minister Shaukat Tareen, former secretary of water and power Shahid Rafi, ex-secretary of establishment Ismail Qureshi, former MD of PEPCO Tahir Basharat Cheema, co-accused Muhammad Sleem Arif, Chaudhry Abdul Qadeer, Iqbal Ali Shah, Wazir Ali and Mali Razi in the reference.
-
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest -
Hilary Duff Finally Addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic Mom Group' Essay -
Ryan Coogler Explains Why His Latest Project 'Sinners' Is So Close To His Heart -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Longtime Friend Shares True Feelings Of Royal Couple On Andrew Arrest -
Who Is Punch? Here’s Everything To Know About The Viral Sensation Winning Over Internet -
Andrew's 'mental Health' Concerns Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media