World table tennis championships postponed again over virus
BUSAN, South Korea: The world table tennis team championships due to take place here were postponed for a second time on Tuesday over the coronavirus pandemic.
South Korea was among the earliest countries to be hit outside China -- where the coronavirus first emerged -- and for a time had the world’s second-largest outbreak before it was largely brought under control through a widespread testing drive.
In February the rapid surge in the number of infections prompted officials to postpone the championships from their original March 22-29 dates to late June. But since then the COVID-19 outbreak has spread to almost all parts of the world, killing more than 75,000 people. That led to a historic decision to postpone the summer Olympics by one year.
All International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) events have been suspended until the end of June, and the ITTF said Tuesday that new provisional dates for the championships had been set for September 27 to October 4.
Local organisers will continue to monitor the situation “with the priority being placed on the health and safety of players, coaches, fans and officials”, it added in a statement.
“The ITTF has been working in close cooperation with the Korea Table Tennis Association (KTTA) ... in order to establish the new provisional dates and also have other optional dates to stage the World Championships, if necessary,” the ITTF said in a statement.On March 29, the ITTF Executive Committee held a meeting to confirm that new dates would be announced for the Hana Bank 2020 World Team Table Tennis Championships in light of the fact that all currently planned ITTF events and activities are suspended until June 30.
“Now with provisional dates proposed for September 27 to October 4, the ITTF and KTTA continue to monitor the situation, with the priority being placed on the health and safety of players, coaches, fans and officials.”
The coronavirus has had a serious impact on sports events worldwide, with most major professional leagues for basketball, baseball, football and golf either suspending play or delaying the start of their seasons. To date there have been more than 1.35 million confirmed cases of COVID-19.
-
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years -
Eric Dane Drops Raw Confession For Rebecca Gayheart In Final Interview -
Trump Announces New 10% Global Tariff After Supreme Court Setback -
Influencer Dies Days After Plastic Surgery: Are Cosmetic Procedures Really Safe? -
Eric Dane Confesses Heartbreaking Regret About Daughters' Weddings Before Death -
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Reveals Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Diagnosis